• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BUY ADVICE:2011 Ranger XLT

ChubbyRainn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Everyone!

New to the forum and working on acquiring my first ranger! I am looking at the following listing https://www.burlingtonmotors.com/vehicle-details/2011-ford-ranger-xlt-truck-4cda7196418645128e60d1469bc46eca

Is this high mileage for a ranger? I can pick it up for $10,200 out the door and according to KBB and cargurus data that is reasonable. What do you guys think? It seems in pretty good condition, some rust underneath the bed near a heat shield but the rocker panels and frame are in great shape. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
That's not at all high miles for a ranger. And price is seems fair in my opinion. My suggestions would be to check the transmission fluid. Make sure it's not brown, or smells burnt. It should be nice clear bright red. The biggest issue with the automatics is the lack of maintenance they receive. See if you can get service records, that would be a big bonus to verify it's been maintained well.

Same for all the other fluids. Low oil, black oil, oil that smells like fuel, crud in the coolant tank, black brake fluid etc are all warning signs.

Looks rust free but the first areas to go on those trucks are the spring shackles and hangers, check them good. And inspect underneath the bed on the cross rails.

Check it for codes (see if codes were deleted) even a cheap scanner will tell you how many miles it's been since any codes have been cleared. If it says only a couple miles, ask why the codes were cleared and what the problem was and if it was actually fixed. And run an I/M readiness test to see that all the emissions systems are good to go and not recently deleted or tampered with.

For a north eastern truck it looks to be in excellent shape though. That truck in somewhere like Texas or arizona would probably sell for half that price but us northeastern folks pay a premium for rust free vehicles... just how it is, nothing you can do about it.

ChubbyRainn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Excellent! Thank you so much for the feedback, I will be test driving today and it will be great to have a couple of things to look for.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Stick your finger up the tailpipe and rub the sides of it good. If it comes out covered in soot it might be an oil burner.
That's always my first, and many times, last, test

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Didn't your mother ever teach you not to stick your finger in your tailpipe...

ChubbyRainn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
The test drive went well, it pulled to the right but I am sure that is just an alignment adjustment. I noticed a clicking noise in 4WD when turning right, is that somewhat normal? Also, the dealer is playing games and stated hes now firm on $12,200 out the door. I might have to pass on this one!

However, I saw this guy on craigslist https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d/middlebury-2004-ford-ranger-xlt-4500-obo/6971649797.html

crazy low original miles, anyone have any ideas on how bad the fender repair is?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The clicking could be a slow to engage automatic hub maybe needing attention, or if it's louder maybe positrack slippage on pavement. Mine's a positrack but much older and i seldom use it in 4x4 on pavement unless it's solid ice , and even then I only use it in a jam to get the added traction from a stop

Mine also has a slight right pull but it's a camber issue which I plan to address when i get into rebuilding the front end

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Seems reasonable. I would go over it with a fine toothed comb or have a mechanic you trust do it. As long as it has been treated decently, it should be a good truck.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
on the 2004, it's listed as 4cyl. there were no 4cyl 4x4s then.
rust is always worse than it appears on the surface.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals