• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Busted shock and muffler question

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 215k miles. RWD. Upstate NY.

My muffler falls off every 2 or 3 years, even if I use a nicer stainless steel one. It gets strapped in there and everything. Not sure what's going on other than rust but it's getting annoying. I removed it along with the tailpipe other than a piece coming from the cat.

When it fell off, it fell off and hit the driveshaft and got thrown into my passenger side rear Bilstein shock. The shock no longer moves up and down. I tried using a 15 and 18 mm socket to remove the shock but I only have one socket and the bolts didn't budge (even with PB blaster).

Can I drive this 25 miles (highway) to a shop or should I get it towed? The other shock bounces fine. I bought two new ones.

What can be done so the muffler straps stop rusting out and letting the muffler fall?

I ordered a catback and am waiting for it to arrive.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I personally would not drive it on the highway like that. A couple miles slowly on secondary roads, MAYBE. I would rather drive with the shock removed. Keep going with the PB Blaster and see if you can get the shock removed. 6-point sockets are best to avoid rounding off the stuck fasteners. A breaker bar might help also so that you don't break a ratchet. With a good quality breaker bar and 6-point socket, you could probably slip a piece of pipe over the handle to make it longer and get more leverage.

Otherwise, as a last resort, you could use a nut splitter.

To reduce the frequency of the exhaust falling off, I only have 2 ideas. First, make sure the exhaust is fastened with good quality hangars and maybe paint them to help slow down the corrosion. Second, frequently rinse the bottom of the truck to keep salt/chemical buildup to a minimum. I know that's not fun through the wintertime. But even if it only doubles the life of your exhaust, it's worth the trouble.

... and yes. I grew up in Pennsylvania. So even though my profile says I'm in South Carolina now, I do know how bad northern winters are on vehicles.

Eric B

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I agree with Eric. get that shock out of there. worst case, take a sawzall and cut through the shock at the bottom and top right beffore where it mounts, then drive it.

If you are trying to save a bit, keep pb blasting it, go to harbor freight and get a good 24 inch breaker bar and an impact socket for the nut, and then one size lower and work the nut with the breaker bar. tighten a little bit, then loosen a little bit, hit it with more PB blaster and repeat. eventually you will be able to move the breaker bar a bit more each time.

Also, there are only 6 bolts, three screws, and a wiring harness connector that holds the bed on. grab a friend and remove the bed, you will be able to get to those shock mounts much easier then.

Regards,

AJ

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'll try with a friend this weekend.

What is the rubber piece that holds the tail pipe up? Are these readily available at auto parts store? I cut it in half when I removed my muffler, tailpipe, muffler pipe, etc. not realizing I would need it. I'm guessing one won't come with the catback that I ordered.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I don't remember what those pieces are called. They are just part of the hanger. Most auto parts places have a variety of straps and hangers. Your catback system may include some hangers. Some do and some don't.

Eric B

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
If you still can't get the bolt to budge, get a small propane torch and heat the nut. The heat will cause the nut to expand, breaking the bond of the rust.

Good luck! Gotta love the rust belt!

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
I'll try with a friend this weekend.

What is the rubber piece that holds the tail pipe up? Are these readily available at auto parts store? I cut it in half when I removed my muffler, tailpipe, muffler pipe, etc. not realizing I would need it. I'm guessing one won't come with the catback that I ordered.
I know autozone sells them in their "HELP!" section. On their site, they call them a "Walker Rubber Exhaust Hanger".

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I bought this but not sure it's the correct size? Says "may fit". It looks exactly like the picture.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/nickson-tail-pipe-hanger-511179/10237536-P?krypto=w56LEYcHTW7/3L1g6HSIEOov1SwWStuq530jq+d5/fRjMqsgRlJLnJqZX1MwRWEOQ2ns8D+P1SuyH9NmWbLF9JqiQTuHtlhas4IYTTCL7y9m6o4TXpo7acH7LqGB1dXf4eDeg+S3ttr7hqitXflYvLyB2yUxysH+Yf5R7i8TJ+eVSryBQtY3yM13n/4RqrkJ

If I use heat, do I use heat on the top bolt too? Do I need to let it cool down before tightening it again? It won't budge and tried another friend and he couldn't get it either. It definitely needs heat.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
That's the part you need.

I would concentrate the heat on the nut. It would be great if you could heat the nut but keep the bolt or stud cold. But that's nearly impossible to do. The heat expands the metal. But the rust expands at a different rate. So, the theory is that the rust bond breaks free.

You're in a fight. But you will win eventually.

Eric B

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals