• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Burnt harness followed by bad repair (neutral safety)

heviarti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Various
Make / Model
Various Rangers
I work for a farm with a fleet of six Ford Rangers, from 1993 to 1998. Somehow one of the irrigators managed to burn the pink and red/blue together, and every time you'd press the clutch, the starter would run. Anyway, I was fighting with other problems and another irrigators that fancies himself a mechanic did an el mexicanasso repair. It didn't work, and now I have a chance to get the machine in for a repair.
Rather than doing the smart thing and tracing the wire to either end and just replacing it, he chopped it out and ran a fuse body wire into the back side of a fuse. I guess the idea was to use a fuse to start it? He also taped it together with some kind of fuzzy BS, then electrical tape over that.
Now I'm in the position where I need to make this actually work right. The solenoid wire is red/blue, but it seems that the fuse mess was slaved into pink inside the cab. The red/blue is now missing inside the cab, or at least I can't find any remnant beyond some insulation melted to other wires to trace it to origin with.
So, I need to know if this circuit works as power to neutral safety, neutral safety closed, power to ignition switch, start active, power to solenoid or start activate, power to neutral safety, neutral safety closed, power to solenoid. I'd also like to know where to locate the red/blue, especially if it is the power feed from start activate. Optimally, If I can find the power feed from start activate, I can just feed it to pink and be done, deleting the clutch switch (which was also burnt) if the other two conductors have no functional purpose.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The red/blue wire in the engine bay can change to a pink wire in the cab, it changes color at the larger round thru firewall connector

In 1994 and earlier there is a red/blue wire that comes from the ignition switch to the clutch/NSS switch, it only has 12v with key turned to START

In 1995, and up, Ford added a fuse in cab fuse box, fuse 24 in most years, it only has 12v when key is turned to START
It can be red/blue wire IN from fuse 24, OR white/pink wire, to clutch switch
But usually Pink OUT to starter relay/solenoid that changes to red/blue at the firewall connector

On an automatic NSS its a Pink wire IN from ignition switch(fuse 24), and a red/blue OUT to starter relay

If you have a specific year I can post the wiring diagram with specific colors

heviarti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Various
Make / Model
Various Rangers
It's a 1993 4wd with the 4.0. It sounds like I have to figure out where the heck the wire from the start switch actually is, or how much is left.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1993/94 were the same as far as START wiring

This diagram has both manual and automatic wiring

All Rangers up thru 2000 were wired as Manuals, if truck got an automatic then a Jumper harness was added, under the dash to the clutch switch plug, a thin 6 connector plug, not all 6 connectors were used, there are 3 "pairs" for the 3 switches inside a clutch switch
The last 2 wires at one end of clutch switch connector at for START

In 1993 the red/blue wire comes from ignition switch directly to the clutch switch plug, so should be easy to locate
It should only have 12v when key is turned to START

Then a Pink wire OUT to firewall which turns to red/blue in engine bay

Automatic has same wire colors in the cab, but Jumper connector sends the Pink wire into engine bay and down to NSS on the drivers side of transmission
On NSS there is Pink IN from ignition switch and then red/blue OUT to starter relay

Attachments

heviarti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Various
Make / Model
Various Rangers
Dropped the column and found it. Four red/blue wires on the ignition switch. Looks like the engineers were hard at work that day. Now I get to guess which one it is. Worst case I'm going to need pins to fit that connector on the top of the ignition switch. Then I can just install a new wire.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Need to wipe off the wires

There should only be 2 red/blue stripe wires, same connection so you could use either

There are 2 red/Light GREEN wires

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals