• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Burnt cylinder and its running lean

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm about to buy a Lightning that has been heavily modded but, as per the thread name, they burnt cylinder 1 and ruined it. We have the tools to fix it, and I plan on doing exactly that, but the mechanic that was working on it said that it was running too lean at WOT after the local Mustang shop tried to custom tune it. They suggested a high performance fuel pump, but I have no idea what kind to get. This truck is putting out around 500 horses as it stands before they burnt the piston, so does anyone know what I should get?

purplehaze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
351,gt45 turbo,blow thru
Transmission
Automatic
Hey man, Just some advice from close experience. Steer clear of the lightning unless you have tons of money to pour into it. They are okay to leave almost stock and just drive. My close friend just sold his lightning that was built and over 500rwhp. But it still wasn;t what you call fast because of weight of the truck. And they are crazy on tuning. I know he had it tuned 3-4 times and each time it was 5-600 bucks. Good luck on what you decide. If you decide to get it, google johnny lightning performance he is the ford lighting guru

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, that actually seems to be the consensus. I was outbid at the last minute by the tuning company that broke it anyways, so looks like I'm sticking with my Ranger. They had said that they put 7500 into it and broke it every time they tried to tune it, which makes it sound like something I don't need to be dealing with.

Money hole avoided!

purplehaze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
351,gt45 turbo,blow thru
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, my buddy dropped over 6 grand in the engine and had to take it back several times to have it tuned again and like I said each time it was expensive. After the last tune he sold it for what he paid for it in stock form. He lost a lot of money, but said it was worth it to get rid of the headache.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals