• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Burning smell after clutch replacement

Sharky146

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys.

The Problem: My truck smells like burning transmission fluid when at highway speeds above 50 mph. There are no visible fluid leaks. I can only smell it with the windows down, but it’s a pretty strong smell. I don’t notice it at all below 50 mph.

This smell started right after I just did a complete clutch job on my 2006 Ford ranger FX4 4.0L 5-speed manual. This job included the clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel, slave cylinder, master cylinder, rear main seal and transmission input shaft seal. I also replaced the tranny fluid with new Mercon V. (The Haynes manual says to use Mercon, but the Autozone only had Mercon V.) I’ve only put about 150 miles on the truck since I finished the clutch job, I’m hesitant to drive it any more until I figure out what’s wrong with it.

It was my first clutch job. It took some time, but wasn’t terribly complicated. Just wondering if I made a bonehead mistake along the way that is now causing the burning smell. Could it be the Mercon V? Any other ideas?

Thanks guys.

Sharky146

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys.

The Problem: My truck smells like burning transmission fluid when at highway speeds above 50 mph. There are no visible fluid leaks. I can only smell it with the windows down, but it’s a pretty strong smell. I don’t notice it at all below 50 mph.

This smell started right after I just did a complete clutch job on my 2006 Ford ranger FX4 4.0L 5-speed manual. This job included the clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel, slave cylinder, master cylinder, rear main seal and transmission input shaft seal. I also replaced the tranny fluid with new Mercon V. (The Haynes manual says to use Mercon, but the Autozone only had Mercon V.) I’ve only put about 150 miles on the truck since I finished the clutch job, I’m hesitant to drive it any more until I figure out what’s wrong with it.

It was my first clutch job. It took some time, but wasn’t terribly complicated. Just wondering if I made a bonehead mistake along the way that is now causing the burning smell. Could it be the Mercon V? Any other ideas?

Thanks guys.
I forgot to mention that the transmission shifts very smoothly, clutch pedal engages in the right spot, and there are no unusual noises. Other than the burning smell, it runs great!

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
I forgot to mention that the transmission shifts very smoothly, clutch pedal engages in the right spot, and there are no unusual noises. Other than the burning smell, it runs great!
I have an 04 with a new clutch that has a weird smell only when backing a small(1000-1500lb. load) trailer up a moderately steep driveway. Sort of a burning gear oil smell. Hard to describe. Mine shifts nicely and doesn't stink in any other situations as far as I can tell. Maybe you could try partially engaging the clutch with the truck on jackstands to see if you can generate the smell and isolate it's source. Not sure if that would work but it's all I could think of. I'm an amateur mechanic who has managed to figure out most tasks/problems/upgrades eventually but not without plenty of frustration and time consuming misdiagnosis. Good luck!:)

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Maybe just residual fluid burning off of the hot parts? or maybe a small leak at the seal that was replaced. Also Clutches do need a break in. Maybe you spun it and glazed the disc a bit...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Have you been back underneath and looked for any evidence of a fluid leak? And, is yours the Mazda 5-speed that has the rubber shift rail plugs, and if so, have these been replaced or upgraded to metal freeze plugs?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals