• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BURNED TOAST!!!!!! HELP!

facemaze

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
BirthTruckproblemsDeath
01 2.3l RWD Manual M5OD

I was driving in a blizzard when the shifter bushing shattered. I lost all transmission of power to the wheels. Also it sounded like a giant eating metal. Then I got the burning toast smell.

In the Garage, I dropped the trans and cleaned out the shards of bushings, then checked the transmission out. I slid the collars over the synchronizers by hand and checked to see if the input shaft controlled the output, it did. then I reassembled it on the bench with the cover and the forks on, cycled through the gears and the shafts were in sync with each other and locked in movement when not in neutral. Also a visible inspection of the transmission appears to be near flawless. So I reasonably assumed I had fixed the issue. (Forgetting the toast)

Re mounted everything, despite the absence of the terrible noise from the shards and a new bushing, it was as if I had done nothing since the original incident. No transmission to the Tires in any gear.

I checked movement on the slave cylinder, it was good. I was ablle to depress the clutch, shift into gear and release without the engine stalling. EXCEPT 4th gear which caused a stall.

So I dropped the trans again, THis time I took a closer look at the clutch, expecting a flat burned away disc. To my eye it looks just fine.

Ive attached pics. PLEASE HELP!!!

I thought I knew the issue but Im wrong. Now Im lost.

The engine sounds perfect and has no issues reving

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Check to make sure that the roll pins holding the top cover shift forks are intact and present! They can and do fall out.

Second, if you can rule that out, make dang sure the 1-2 and 3-4 synchro rings are in the neutral position (your pics show 1st gear engaged) and that the shift forks on the top cover fit into those rings... Then with the trans out of the truck, engage each gear and see if you can turn the input shaft by hand, noting whether or not the output shaft also turns accordingly.

Sounds like a roll pin broke to me and it's getting stuck in two gears at once or never leaving neutral.

facemaze

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
BirthTruckproblemsDeath
Check to make sure that the roll pins holding the top cover shift forks are intact and present! They can and do fall out.

Second, if you can rule that out, make dang sure the 1-2 and 3-4 synchro rings are in the neutral position (your pics show 1st gear engaged) and that the shift forks on the top cover fit into those rings... Then with the trans out of the truck, engage each gear and see if you can turn the input shaft by hand, noting whether or not the output shaft also turns accordingly.

Sounds like a roll pin broke to me and it's getting stuck in two gears at once or never leaving neutral.
pretty sure thats neutral in the pics.

"I slid the collars over the synchronizers by hand and checked to see if the input shaft controlled the output, it did. then I reassembled it on the bench with the cover and the forks on, cycled through the gears and the shafts were in sync with each other and locked in movement when not in neutral."

Its not a roll pin. they are all there

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Sorry, you are correct, I should have looked more closely at a couple of your pics.

So when you have the 1-2 and 3-4 rings in neutral and turn the input shaft... it's actually in neutral, right? And not in 5th or reverse? The 5th/reverse cluster is inside the tailhousing and kinda hard to see through the top cover hole.

Your pics to me anyway indicate that your clutch disc and flywheel look great. I see no problems there. What about the pressure plate and slave cylinder? Does the throwout bearing spin freely and can you compress it onto the slave cylinder shaft? Pilot bearing intact and in good shape?

I guess my gut instinct from across the internet is to more or less rule out the clutch assembly since it's stalling in 4th...that to me would indicate that the clutch is working and not just slipping...I don't see any burned or hot spots on the flywheel.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Hey F-maze, found your other thread where the great gang here figured out that your DIFF EXPLODED, and you got a whole new junkard axle assembly, BUT... was wondering what Shran thinks about your 2nd gear in the first pic above? Looks like it's the one that "ate" most of your bushings/shims/wavy washers, lot of nicks and shaves on the part of the gear teeth away from its synchro, closest to 3rd gear... does it make any NOISE?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
If the input and output shafts spin in gear, then the problem may be elsewhere. The last time I lost transmission was because my transfer case was busted up inside.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals