• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bumper brackets... 1st gen front bumper onto 2nd gen frame

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Hi all,
So I've got most of my 89 nose converted to 1st gen, only things left are mounting the 1st gen bumper and valance/signals.

My 89 had a 3" body lift done a long time ago. It had some kind of steel brackets that raised the bumper to match the lift. I have removed the 89 bumper, and have picked up an 88 bumper locally. Currently the lift brackets meant for raising 2nd gen bumper 3" are still in place on the front of frame ends. See pics. They were bolted, but after unbolting they still have a few spot welds presumably meant to reinforce. I haven't grinded those off yet.

Biggest question first... are the 1st gen frame and 2nd gen frame the same at the very front end? That kinda dictates my next moves so i'm trying to figure that out. If they're the same, I'll start my search for 1st gen bumper mount/brackets and whatsoever is involved.

I have considered making use of these lift brackets somehow, but no idea yet.

Does anybody know where there is a diagram of the front end of both the 1st gen and 2nd gen?

IMG_1318.jpeg

IMG_1315.jpeg

IMG_1317.jpeg

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
First gen doesn't have brackets of any kind. The frame is solid on the end and the bumper bolts directly to it.

So to put the 1st gen bumper on a 2nd gen frame you'll have to make something. Unless of course it'll bolt to the current brackets and look right?:dntknw:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I cut the front frame horns from a donor truck and made plates to bolt to the newer frame.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Gotcha, and thanks! Well, I don’t have a donor truck, but I do have both generations of bumpers. So maybe I’ll attempt to make use of the 2nd Gen bumper mounts that are inside the bumper and bring them over to 1st Gen bumper.
Predicting right now that’ll be more work than it’s worth, and will probably end up custom building some kind of steel brackets to bridge the connection from 2nd Gen frame to 1st Gen bumper.
Another option I considered is getting an aftermarket bumper (maybe with winch) that bolts up to 2nd Gen frame but somehow also cosmetically/physically aligns with the 1st Gen fenders. Haven’t scoped what’s out there yet and not sure that’s even possible.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Just a small update.. comparing to other's pics of 2nd gen frame, it seems a previous owner of my truck actually cut away half of the bottom holes in my original frame so as to fit on their contraption which reaches down with an extension segment under there. You can see this in pics above.
So my original frame doesn't have a vertical pair of mount holes anymore, it just has one. Certainly complicates the challenge here!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
@eightynine4x4 this is what I did (2nd gen frame, 1st gen body.) The bumper sticks out about an inch further than it should but it looks OK. I built these adapters with cut off frame horn sections from the old frame.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals