• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

building custom sub enclosure

nuclassic

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I have an idea on where to put one and the basic idea of how it's done but don't know where to get the parts and figure out the math. I know you have build it out of wood, then use fiberglass over it ( where do I find that) sand it down and paint it. How do you figure out how much airspace a sub needs? :icon_confused:

Thanks

NC

pooleo8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96

'01
Make / Model
Ford

Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your subs should come with paper work that will say all the specs and how much air space it should have.

Use MDF(medium density fiberboard) to construct the box. 3/4" or 5/8". Plexiglass is available at most home improvement stores. But it can be expensive.

When your drawing out your plans on the wood be sure to add 3/4or5/8 to measurement. Otherwise it wont fit and will be smaller than what you want.

nuclassic

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Where do I find fiberboard?

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
any home improvement store like lowes, home depot or menards. they should also have fiberglass and if not, you can find it at parts stores like autozone or advance auto parts.

BlackRanger06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
You dont HAVE to use fiberglass. I wrapped mine in black leather. Here is the one I made. Fits on the floor behind front seats (low enough to put the jump seats down too).

[/IMG]

mywhip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That looks really good! Ill take one!

BlackRanger06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. It really wasn't too hard to make. It was a little expensive though. If I can remember right, I believe I have 250-275 in subs and amp, and another 40-50 in materials. I would be glad to make a box like this for you.

The worst part is...I made this two and a half years ago and it is still not hooked up. haha But I just bought a new double din unit and a friend will be installing it and the subs in the next couple of weeks.

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
fiberglass is completely not needed. use 3/4 inch MDF (lowes or home depot), Titebond 2 wood glue, deck screws. Also grab a countersink bit and some wood filler if you plan on painting it. PM me if you need a design made and i can help you out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals