• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

building a d44?

Green__machine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looking at a lot of ppl's oppinions about the 44 or just go with the 60 being said i already have the 44 and wondering if i should go ahead with it or not i will be running 35's 4l v6 and a rear 8.8 31 spline. have not yet purchased anything for the diff yet. but im thinking it will be better than the gay d35 that i have now. if i do build the 44 what kind of springs are best for flex?

MaGiKaLsHoTs

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(01) / [94] / {
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
[3.0L] | (4.0L) | {5.0L, sas 35 boggers}
Transmission
Automatic
im doing a d44 and im just using skyjacker 6" coils for mine

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you're just gonna run 35's then build the 44. I think I could get away with 37's, but I've got a pretty casual driving style. If you EVER plan to run 38+, then build the 60. You'll get so sick of hangin up on stuff with the 35's you'll be on 40's before you know it :D.

I've got 3.5" EB springs and the axle moves pretty well:

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I in the same boat as you, except I've already got a HP D44 and I'm setting it up with an Eaton E-Locker, 4.56 gears, and chromo shafts after cutting it down to EB dimensions. I've also got the 31 spline 8.8 for the rear with an Auburn ECTED and 4.56 gears. I'll be running the 4.0L with a manual transmission and 35" M/T MTZ's.

It depends on who you talk with regarding diffs, alot of people wheel their trucks with the TTB D35 and 35's with no problem, while some people swear by the 1/2ton D44's, and some will run nothing but 1ton D60's.

With enough power, you will be able to break anything, and with some respect to the skinny pedal you can also make driveline components last a long time. There are downsides to anything, but if you are willing to do the research then you're more than set to figure out what you need to run based on what you're planning.

There are alot of different opinions when it comes to springs, I personally believe that springs designed for the TTB suspension are too stiff for proper articulation, but I will find this out when I start working on my swap as I will need something holding the truck up until I figure out exactly what I need to order....

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Both the D35 or D44 will hold up to 35" tires with just some minor mods, although if you are wanting to dump a bunch of coin into building an axle (alloy shafts, etc), I would agree with others who talk about the D60. You'll be much better off in the long term for hardly any more cost. The money from selling that 44 can go toward the 60.

And since when did an axle have a sexual orientation? That's a new one... :icon_confused:

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I hear 10.25s get wood for 14 bolts.

But then again, so do I.

351Mazda

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going with a 60 just because I'm sick of breaking stuff. My 44 was stock and it broke on 35's. I was thinking about building it up but I talked to a guy that has a chrome-moly's 44 in a bronco II with 36's and he breaks his all the time. Like a shaft a month. As far as flex go with Deaver Superflex EB coils. http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-468

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals