• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Building a 98 Ranger with Exploer swap, general questions

stillwater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I currently have a 98 Ranger std. cab XLT, with 2.5 engine and 4R44 auto trans. I've been gathering info on this swap for a good while, but I need to make one clear post with all my questions.

I am aware much of this info has already been posted here, but due to a stroke a few years ago, a nasty divorce and a nasty car accident Saturday (thank God for airbags/seat belts), I don't feel like searching for days for all the information I need. Sorry.

I want to get an Explorer with the 5.0 engine...hoping to to go All Wheel Drive with my conversion. I am aware of how tough it can be to find a 5-speed manual transmission for this purpose. I don't remember which ones work, but I know they're a bit scarce...maybe there is other options? I'm willing to modify the driveshaft if necessary, or whatever else. What year Explorer will I need? I've seen different opinions on this. Perhaps I should look into 4WD...not sure. I could use it where I live.

I've seen that old Bronco 9" rearends are a good fit, so I'm hoping to run one front and back.Going to swap a lot of goodies to the Ranger from the donor if it has lots of accessories, my 2.5 has 225,000 miles and a trans that slips if you kick it down, so it's a good time to ditch it. All helpful suggestions will be appreciated...

Last edited:

stillwater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............:beer:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No one is ignoring you, it's just no one with the proper info has seen your post......

free bump.

Be patient. If no responds in a couple days give me a PM and I'll see what info I can dig up.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
You got some work ahead of you with that 2.5 liter in there. Motor mounts are going to have to be redone. Front end will have to be completely changed over from the coil suspension to the torsion bar front end from the awd explorer to the ranger. A manual trans out of a 5.0 f150 will work fine or a t5. The T5 will have to be moded to accept a transfer cause for 4wd.I have a write up you can read on. My truck was a perfect donor and automatic but there is some info in there. Especially on pats wiring in which our 98's did not come with.
I found this on the t5. OP JBROWN 1238
I did a similar Ranger project and can offer some advice to make the overall concept a little easier to digest. When I started I was also intimidated with much of the electronics, wiring, manual trans options etc. I searched the forums and decided to proceed with what was identified as the easiest/simplest swap with modern EFI. I choose the 98-00 Ranger and the 00-01 Explorer. The electronics as well as other items mesh well between these years.

To answer your main question regarding the manual trans, a Tremec T5 is the best route to go. You will need to have some of the auto trans codes programmed out of the ECM but that is somewhat simple for a programmer to take care of for you. The auto equipped Rangers are already wired for the manual trans at the pedal assembly. You will just need to bolt in the manual pedal assembly and pull down the pigtail for the wiring. Check out the you tube video below for info on my truck.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174669

Here is my build. I just did it last year.

Edit/Update: Also look for a manual trans out a 4.2 f150. The info I read up on says they will bolt right in.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals