• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Build me a computer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey folks. Looking to get a new computer. Decided to buy parts and build rather than buying pre built. Save money, and have better performance.

However I have no idea where to start. What works with what, and what the good parts are.

So I turn to you.

Budget. $700 +/- $50

Main use will be video editing, little bit of gaming, and daily tasks.

I edit HD video, and my current laptop does alright, bit it leaves a bit to be desired mainly in terms of processing the final video, and keeping the "preview" while editing smooth. Right now it lags a bit. I'm guessing that's meaning I need more memory?

Anyways, video editing PC, for around $700

I'll hook it up to a 27" monitor.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Hey folks. Looking to get a new computer. Decided to buy parts and build rather than buying pre built. Save money, and have better performance.

However I have no idea where to start. What works with what, and what the good parts are.

So I turn to you.

Budget. $700 +/- $50

Main use will be video editing, little bit of gaming, and daily tasks.

I edit HD video, and my current laptop does alright, bit it leaves a bit to be desired mainly in terms of processing the final video, and keeping the "preview" while editing smooth. Right now it lags a bit. I'm guessing that's meaning I need more memory?

Anyways, video editing PC, for around $700

I'll hook it up to a 27" monitor.
Well in my opinion a good starting point would be the processor. Deciding on Intel or AND and what socket will determine your motherboard and RAM choices.

Your budget is decent but you'll have to forego some of the gaming prowess.

Video card will be on the budget side as otherwise it could easily take up the majority of your budget.

RAM you can get away with 8 gigs of whatever type that should be enough for what you'd like since I think that's the sweet spot.

hard drives I would stay away from any "green" drives for what you want, get a standard 3 Tb for storage and maybe a small SSD to boot from 120 to 250 Gb. Try to include a drive internal or external to backup too.

power supply get at least 600 watt if not more, I prefer modular because you can keep cables you don't need out if your way. Get a quality PSU! don't cheap out here. you also don't need a huge top of line unless your gonna be running 2 or more video cards.

case and motherboard form factor depends on your needs and it's final location. I prefer a case on the larger side so I can work comfortably but smaller is ok so long as you can get cooling to the right places. I prefer those with larger 200mm fans so it can be cooled quietly especially the hard drives. motherboard get something with solid state capacitors and enough sata ports for what you want 6+ of them. because you will be using optical media and at least 2 drives and maybe more down the road, since video can eat room like no business. so 2 disc drives and 2 hard drives plus maybe an external connection is already 5 sata ports you dig?

I think that covers most of the harder stuff just don't forget a keyboard and mouse, sata cables, etc...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't mind skimping on the more gaming aspect of things to get better video editing, or cheaper. I'll not a huge gamer, just like to play the odd game.

I did a bit of research last night at work, I'm thinking an AMD 6 core, or 8 core would be a gold idea, then go note budget sided on the video card to even out the $$ figures.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Personally...I'd buy a used system from a computer store or even a hock shop...and build that up...you know it works...you can see the specs and tell if it's going to do what you want...and it is dirt cheap to start with.

I've seen used brand name computers for as little as $200 that would suffice your needs initially...and are upgradeable also...to the kicka$$ point and beyond.

Well, actually, my current computer was found in the trash...it's getting old now and could probably be replaced for cheap for what I do...but it works...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals