• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bugging Out / Survival

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I like the Wildernest. Doesn't seem like you see very many of them. I think they can close up pretty quickly.

What's with the ratchet strap??

chazawazzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Manual
The ratchet strat was on it because the latch was broken before but i fixed it. Yes, i can have it down in just about one minute and up in five.

Hewgull

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pontiac
Engine Size
2.2 liters of clankity bang
Transmission
Manual
Who has a vacuum food sealer? I just picked up a Deni brand today of craigslist for 10 dollars. It doesn't seem to pull a vacuum very well so I was thinking of getting a AC vacuum pump and routing the hose in through the machine and then just using the sealing feature of it. Then again I haven't sealed enough things with it to see if the seals hold up.

mattc113

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8"
Tire Size
37"
if memory serves right, a combination of rubber lined tin/metal provides a shield during an emp. the government issues rubber encased laptops for that reason. so what about the possibility of somehow rubberizing the inside of a garage/basement/cabin/ect. that would protect cars/electronics.

http://set2survive.com/EMP_survivors_notebook_1.html

as stated above, not the most likely event, but one i would like to be prepared for nonetheless.

we usually have all 3 of our freezers full of food. currently we have about 350lbs of meat, vacuum sealed and frozen. no power? 2 50gal barrels of salt. or the option of making an external refridgerator. dig a hole, about 4-5 feet down, set a wood box/ice chest filled with salt and meat, cover. better than nothing, and it will keep for a while.

fishing is a fantastic survival tool...as long as they are biting, lol. we have a few fish traps, as well as a casting net. i also know how to fish by jugline, trotline and limbline. a 30lb catfish can provide good protein and around here, fishing is good using the above methods. have a place to fish, thats at least semi-secluded, set them and check them.

we reload our own ammo. also, i have a rifle and pistol that both shoot 9mm and 2 that shoot .45. my dad has 2 that are .357. we have around 1000rds of ammo for each, not to mention 300-500 rds of 30.06, 30.30, 223. also, a gross amount of shotgun shells. we hunt/shoot alot....and my dad doesnt trust the government.

also, while hunting may grow harder, trapping is a good tool, depending on your location. but no matter where you live, you can catch coyotes, dogs, cats, raccoons, possums, squirrels, ect. not an appetizing thought, but when survival is at stake, little can go to waste. my dad trapped growing up in washington, so he is showing me how to do it. he has a trap set up on the side of his house, and he lives in the center of town, and usually catches a few animals a week.

here in OK, there is an abundance of squirrels and rabbits. not alot of meat, but every bit will count.

farming: planting crops and having a garden is great, but knowing what to plant, what is easiest to grow in your area, what grows best during different times of year, things like that will count for alot. while we live in a semi-rural area, i went ahead and bought 12 chickens that i keep in a coop in the backyard. they are easy to move, provide eggs, and in a pinch, can be cooked themselves, lol. they are pretty cheap to feed and maintain as well.

heat during winter is provided by a woodburning stove. its currently in the garage, we are trying to figure out a way to mount it in the dining room, and build an insulated box around it with ducting going to different rooms in the cabin. (640 acres of family land in se ok). no way too keep cool during the summer except shade and swimming, lol.

my dad is also looking into a possibility of a wind generator...like a windmill. wind is in abundance here, and it would be a permanant source of energy. also looking into solar energy panels.

and while all of that is great, its dependant on staying in one place for an extended period of time, which may not be possible.

again, knowledge will be your biggest survival tool, along with the will to keep going.

edit: keep in mind little things like hygene. soap, you need to be clean. no shower? simple as a bleach botle or bucket hung from a branch or other high point, holes in the bottom and some duct tape. instant shower. boil water for hot shower. you can make your own soap as well.

toothpaste/dental hygene. tubes of toothpaste are small, cheap and can last a long time. you can also get the supplies to make your own. i have enough to make 2lbs, which is alot.

most important and not really thought of....CONDOMS, LOL!!!! sex is a good mood booster, way to keep warm, and just plain fun. but nobody wants to bring a baby into a post apocolypse world.

Last edited:

MikeSak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another thing is medication. Antibiotics will be worth their weight in gold when the balloon goes up. If you're diabetic who needs insulin or need to take any medications to live, well good luck and god bless.

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
THIS IS A COVERT HOW TO MANUAL DISGUISED AS REGULAR BOOK- MUST READ!
He covers everything from safe bartering to pioneer childbirth techniques. I am NOT a very religous person but this guy is and the book comes off a little heavy handed sometimes but the stuff in this book is just what you guys are talking about. I am a PREPPER now and thats why I got the AR yesterday. Try to do some preps a little at a time and it grows fast. NASA has a youtube video urging their employees to start prepping.I am prepping to bug in and hunker down rather than bug-out and risk travel. If you are interested go to youtube and view SOUTHERNPREPPER1 as he has been featured on National Geographic tv and is a former ARMY senior NCO

schanusa

November '08 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Funny I haven't come across this thread till now. I've been building up my supplies over the past couple years for a SHTF event or natural disaster. Food, water, ammo, fuel (2000 miles worth) and gear to be self reliant. I think getting out of any city is crucial. Earlier this year I started working on a trailer to cart my gear around. This month I've made most of my progress and I'm almost finished. Mostly I'm building the trailer for camping, though I know it will be able to handle all the gear I need to if an emergency happened.

Just a different alternative to building something on a truck. This way you can drop the trailer and head out hunting in a lighter vehicle.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119162

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That sir is a SUPER NICE TRAILER and deserves a build thread! KEEP ON PREPPIN"!

Rotagotideas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
so far this seems like a pretty interesting thread, interesting posts and interesting characters (the posters themselves) :)
Just gonna touch on a little thing that is very key and for the most part ignored...
WATER!
how many of you have a basement and a sump pump? how many of you have a very busy sump pump almost year round due to high water table?
well that could be used as a source of water if you have or make a large storage tank.
this would also require a filtration system of course. but having lived on well water when i was younger we still have most of the equipment. Or for those that have a bug out shelter or building one, build a water storage system to capture the water from the roof.
I have a friend that does this with his barn roof. When it rains he will top off his storage tanks in the basement / bunker of his barn (except for food and weapons he's prepared for a SHTF event) and then if he wants to use it but if his primary tank (a big old farm propane tank) is empty, he just pumps the water up from the tanks in the basement and pressureizes the giant propane tank with compressed air and has what ever pressure he so desires. and also has plumbing to that tank for sink and toilet in the barn.
take care.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm on well water. We don't have a physical filter because it isn't needed for us, but we have a UV filter as we get a little bacteria for some reason.

Our well pump is a 240V affair. This was a problem because during a power outage we had no water. A bucket and a rope, I guess. We're good now as I have rewired the RV generator in my bus for 240V and installed a transfer switch in the house and moved the important circuits over to it.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
I'm on well water. We don't have a physical filter because it isn't needed for us, but we have a UV filter as we get a little bacteria for some reason.

Our well pump is a 240V affair. This was a problem because during a power outage we had no water. A bucket and a rope, I guess. We're good now as I have rewired the RV generator in my bus for 240V and installed a transfer switch in the house and moved the important circuits over to it.
I've lived on well water all but two years of my life, and one of those years i had no plumbing at all. I very recently experienced my first boil order. I had no idea what it meant, i had always been on a well. it all worked out, whatever was in the water didn't kill me.

A well and a reliable power source for that well should be at the top of the list if you are planning on holding down the fort. in a shtf situation i wouldn't want to deal with physical filters, or chemical filters/treatments for that matter. filters need cleaned/replaced, chem filters/treatments need to reloaded on a regular basis. keep and maintain a boil station and a reservoir for the clean water. it's simple, effective, and you don't ever have to worry about running out of filters or chem treatments.

DoctorPhate

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I've got a quick question for you guys, the house I'm moving into has very little in the way of space inside for food storage and I currently have 3 months worth of canned goods for my wife, myself and my dog. Well the space inside the house would already be taken up by just that amount and 3 months is not enough for me. I do have a 1 car garage with a super wide(but not that deep) shop attached. Well I was planning on using half that shop for myself and the rest for storage of various things but I got to thinking... Would canned goods be ok to store there?

Temperatures in this area in the winter can get down to -40 and in the summer up to +35. My gut tells me that might be too much of a swing for canned goods. All the stuff I have in mason jars would stay in the house ofcourse.

John Smith

Reaction score
about canned goods...

if space is an issue...you might try 3" pvc with end caps with one end not glued on ...(also 4" for the bigger cans)

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking the other day that a dirt bike would be great to have as a vehicle. A real simple engine, kick start, and can go just about anywhere. A good example would be fishing. You could throw your gear in a back pack and easily get to a fishing spot. Also, if you were somewhere cold and went ice fishing, can drive right out on the ice without worrying about the weight of a vehicle.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I don't go nuts about it. I have a small generator for camping and I've used it to run my fridge and TV when we've had power outages. I keep Sta-Bil in the gas and rotate it, it's good for at least a year that way. Have a 9mm and a decent amount of ammo. Maybe two weeks worth of food, camp stove, and camping gear. Main concern is if shit goes down in the winter, then I'll need enough extra gas to get someplace farther south and not freeze to death. Got two 5 gallon cans and a 2.5 gallon, just filled them today when I had $0.40 off on my gas card, you're limited to 30 gallons at the discount.

Looking back at some of our worst disasters, about two weeks worth of stuff is enough.

Might sound strange coming from a right-winger like me, but my take is that the govt won't WANT a revolution and won't let stuff get bad so they can STAY in power. Their emergency food supplies are about 10 miles away in the same storage mine where I keep my jetski. If shit DOES get too bad, then screw it, I'll have my ammo and I'll check out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals