• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bugging Out / Survival

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Concerning batteries....do the motorcycle batteries that are sold "dry" with the acid in a separate container stay good indefinitely? I know they are small but could come in handy and could start a bigger vehicle if a few of them are used it seems like.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
biggest problem with car batteries that are abandoned is that they tend to sulfate, i would think having acid stored seperate would make them usable longer down the road when there needed, my plan was to use lithium batteries ran in parallel from laptops to start a car, plus you can carry it better than a lead acid battery, can come in handy if your trying to recover a vehicle thats been abandoned, last thing you want to carry is a lead acid battery along with 2gallons of fuel and other parts.

John Smith

Reaction score
the title of the thread is....bugging out / survival..

a quick thought..assuming one were able to "bug-out"..early and successful in reaching some other location..perhaps his or her "survival" may not have anything to do with any further use of a vehicle?...under martial law, which we should assume..I would think the last thing your would want is to provide any kind of "heat signature" to be tracked because you WOULD be tracked..if you need to change your location. (in other words..park it under the trees and "camo it")

With survival in mind..I would prefer more emphasis on any type of info/communication devices and things/ways to keep them powered. I know this is a car site..but a vehicle may not be of much practical use once having reached a "safe haven"...not for a time anyway...

my vote for batteries are Lifeline AGM's...no out-gassing and long life mounted upside down even...just have a charging device that plays well with AGM batteries..be-it Solar. wind, marine or otherwise...I have used them in RV/Solar situations and along with a meter (google "trimetric") to measure the state of charge..they will last a long time..the thing is not to let them get below about 50% of charge b4 alowing them to charge again..

I may add another battery bank to the b2 now i'm working on. it will be charged by a device called "Balmar duo-charge"....a marine industry device that will allow your Alt to charge safely another battery bank...In any case with an A/B battery bank with marine quality switches...one can have spare battery power available with optional charge sources...this is jut ONE way...use your own imagination...it continues..

back to you..

Last edited:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Stock up on agm batteries like odysseys. They're heavier than hell but they last forever

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
biggest problem with car batteries that are abandoned is that they tend to sulfate, i would think having acid stored seperate would make them usable longer down the road when there needed, my plan was to use lithium batteries ran in parallel from laptops to start a car, plus you can carry it better than a lead acid battery, can come in handy if your trying to recover a vehicle thats been abandoned, last thing you want to carry is a lead acid battery along with 2gallons of fuel and other parts.
There are ways to fight sulfation.

Li+ batteries tend to not work as well, or at all, in extreme cold weather.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to recover a vehicle that has a run down battery why not just carry a hand crank generator? It would be lighter or the same weight as a battery and have more uses. Also I would think that a natural disaster that causes a loss of services for a week would be at the top of the list. Then I think you would need to plan on a nautural disaster that causes a shortage in the food supply would be number 2.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have Optimas in my diesel pickup. Definitely better than wet batteries. My last Optimas were in the truck for ten years. I got cheap and bought wet batteries--they lasted only one winter. I bought a new set of Optimas. An IDI diesel with straight 30 oil and 21+ compression kicks batteries asses in the winter.

Here's your schoolbus stove-heater.

http://www.marinestove.com/codinfo.htm

You can pick up scraps as you go to heat/cook with. There are smaller heater-only units, which I want to put in our bus if my wife would let me.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_377901_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=377901

Heat is awesome and easy to get. You're freezing your ass off, break up some sticks and your toasty. I have a little wood stove in my machine shed which easily and quickly heats up. You've got to get the chimney pipe hot so the stove will draw--these little things are perfect. You could put one of these stoves in the bed of a pickup with a cap on it. On that marine stoves site, they have a model, the sardine, with only one burner.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone see that old Gregory Peck movie, On the Beach?
I have just watched the film in VHS format.....Even in the best of times, it can be hard for many people to get over their fear of dying in public. I realize that "it's just a movie", but the characters seemed honest, thoughtful, courageous, and spoke her/his mind. Hopefully in real life & when the apocalypse comes, we will be principled, experienced citizens-

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have just watched the film in VHS format.....Even in the best of times, it can be hard for many people to get over their fear of dying in public. I realize that "it's just a movie", but the characters seemed honest, thoughtful, courageous, and spoke her/his mind. Hopefully in real life & when the apocalypse comes, we will be principled, experienced citizens-
Ehhh, principled, experienced citizens.... NO. Look at what happend around the states over the 'Good Friday'. Would have made a good scary movie....'Halloween Friday the 26th'.

I am not looking forward to seeing how the world reacts when we have the disaster of a lifetime hit us!!!

Rotagotideas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
when shit will go to hell

hi guys,
Jim, thanks for putting up this tread, me and a few of my friends discuss this topic ince in a while. tho sometimes they toss in the idea of zombies... :annoyed: I hate it when that happens. but I know how to make pure alcohol for fuel, can shoot a gun pretty good but no guns in my posession at the time, I'm still waiting on my PAL :annoyed:
have some combat knowlage (and no it's not from playing video games I refuse to waste my time on video games) a little bit of hand to hand experience from my blackbelt buddy (kicks my ass every time I try to "learn" :annoyed:) and regularly do some paintall and airsoft,
been picking up on hunting lately, and hve some farming experience.
but I've been a little slow on survival gear in the truck, which is not a good thing at all.
have a fortified place (a trusted aquaitance owns it) to retreat to that can be easily defended, with a source of water.

I highly agree with Will that you must have a small network of people that you can trust with your life or at least have a reason not to kill each other. including the idea of a hierarchy and common law that can be agreed upon by your network or group.

but I have a thought that keeps coming up,
if an EMP goes off does it fry any electronic or any device with a computer chip that is turned off? (I have a spare ECM wrapped in tinfoil just in case at home)

I do belive that the population has grown beyond this panet's carrying capacity and we will have a resource collapse in this century or the next if nothing is done in time. But it is quite possible that it will happen since politics will be too slow as always.
The societal collapse will happen around the same time as or just after the resource collapse.
Or instead of a society collapse there may be another massive world war and quite possibly somewhere a nuke attack.
either event is just as probable IMO.

camshaft01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok i only got about half way thru the read, my take is dont settle on the growing of food, if the end is a heavy radiaded area ,plants prolly wont be growing from lack of rain and ,well radiation. most animals will be dead. yes on the words stockpile( dry foods in bulk and ammo). most central blast areas will only have blind animals for a short period of time, blind animals die quick! warm clothes. you will only need a vehicle for a short time, maybe a wagon for the horses to pull would be a good idea, atleast intil they die. canada is the zone to go in my opinion, and deep north! so 50degrees below is what your going to need clothes for, i think fish under the polar caps will survive the blasts, beceuse i dont think the blasts will be aimed at open country, so the less population the less rad, emp only destroys diodes, not anything else, it doesnt cook batteries that are disconected . also wrap ecms with copper mesh on your halocost vehicle and ground it. think earth tones when purchasing warm clothes, also whites for snow, no pink ant teal miami vice stuff from the 80s, that makes you a target, and trust me ,i'll be hunting yah for your whatever you have! multiple weapons of multiple calibers, because the ammo you find can be used if it fits . and f^ck zombies its impossible,this is the stuff people need to realize. nukes are the major threat or disease, in the case of disease , you will prolly have to kill everything intil no infection is around . sorry but its survival!
also since i was about 9 or 10 ive been excited for this day and been scrounging everything i can to make it! plan now ,live later!

Last edited:

chazawazzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Manual
here's my B.O.V. I have redone the bumper and put a winch on it and upgraded to 33inch bfg mt's since then. Its usually got preps for at least a three day adventure in it.

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
the problem with the roof tent is being able to take off quick if you had to. how long does it take for you to pack it up and get in the cockpit and get the engine started?

other than that ..... I like the tent.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals