• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking, loss of power under load-solved

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue before. My 2.3l ranger (manual) (fuel-injected) runs pretty good around town at low speeds doing easy driving. However, when I drive it out on the highway, especially going up hill in a higher gear, when the engine is under the most load, the engine will sometimes violently buck and shake my whole drivetrain making a loud grinding sound in my transmission and such. The spark plugs, wires, coil packs, fuel filter, air filter, and fuel pump are new. The injectors are original. Fuel pressure is good, at least in the driveway. My mass airflow sensor looks spotless and I’ve tested it and the throttle position sensor to verify that they’re indeed working. I’m happy to answer any questions to get a better idea about it.

Also, does the 91 2.3l have a camshaft position sensor in addition to the crankshaft position sensor?

Last edited:

sfetter

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
We've got a 91 2.3L that started pulling the same crap, just going uphill. Come to find out it doesn't do it when the fuel tank is full; starts doing it when we've burned it down by 4 or 5 gallons. So, suggest comparing full tank vs. 1/3 or 1/2 tank.

Looking in the tank, there's a round structure that comes up from the bottom of the tank and wraps around the fuel pump. We suspect somehow the pump is getting starved on hills - at this point we're not sure how that round part gets filled, and there's seemingly no data out there on the internal structure of the tank. At some point we're going to pull the pump again and look around. May or may not apply to your situation, but it sounded close enough that I thought I'd pass along what we know.

Hope this helps....

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is a "sock" filter at the bottom of the fuel pump, it needs to be changed when pump is changed or if it gets clogged

1991 has a Return fuel line that comes from the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) in the engine bay

The Return line connects to the top of the tank and its line inside the tank goes down the assembly and empties at the bottom of the tank/assembly next to the fuel pump(this may be the line you are seeing/describing)

The pump has an internal line that goes to the top of the tank, and that's connected to the OUT to Filter line
If this line in the tank gets a leak then it can suck air IN once fuel level is low enough for leak to be exposed to air in the tank

Electric fuel pumps can/do generated 80+ psi of pressure
The FPR up thru 1997 were set for 43psi, 35psi running pressure
So a leak in this internal line wouldn't be noticed too much as far as a loss of pressure, but sucking in AIR would be

Last edited:

sfetter

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks, that's all good to know. It's a new fuel pump (that's another story for another day, but we got several that were junk out of the box) but we'll look at that hose from the pickup to the pump.

The round structure I mentioned is more of a well - roughly the diameter of the access hole in the top of the tank where the fuel pump and gage unit goes in. Kinda like a big juice can open at the top. I expect it's there to keep the pump pickup from becoming unported at steep angles; something I'm a little too familiar with due to my years in the aviation world. But it's not something we paid a lot of attention to in the umpteen times we've been in there, so I don't know how it fills or drains. But I suspect either that hose you mentioned or this structure are the problem.

More when I know it....

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry I haven't updated this old thread. The problem ended up being mixed up spark plug wires on the exhaust side coil pack for me. I fixed them and it runs like a champ now. Feel free to keep posting though.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for posting your fix.

BuckHilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
195-70R14
My credo
Old age and deception beats youth and enthusiasm every time.
THANK YOU!!!
I have been fighting this same issue for a few weeks now. Swapped #1 and #3 on the exhaust side and all is good in the world once again! Can't believe I missed that!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals