• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bucket Seat Rebuild

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
So today I went to the local yard and picked up a pair of 94 2dr Explorer seats with the console. Seats were in decent shape, a little dirty, normal for a junkyard IMO. I think the mileage was 219xxx, but after pulling the seats and leaving the yard I remembered my odo only shows 5 digits so maybe it was 129xxx. Minor wear on the seat cushions but they are not damaged. I'm plan on adding some 1/4" foam in the center and 1/2" to the sides. Sorry I didn't take any before pictures but I pulled the seat tracks off (if anyone needs them you're welcome to them, but I won't ship them) and took pictures of the before seat cushion and cleaned seat covers.

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
So, I decided to get 1/2" foam to add in the seat. Placed the foam on the cushion and cut it out, removing areas where the Velcro is then installing the covers on the pass. seat and back cushions.

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

I'll take pictures of the dr. seat tomorrow or the next day when I do it.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Got any pics of the seats without the cover but with the foam you added?

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Got any pics of the seats without the cover but with the foam you added?
I'll do that with the driver seat when I do it in the next day or so. I forgot the camera while doing the seat.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
As said before these seats are from a 94 2dr Explorer. I'm guessing they have the easy entry slides which the seat back flips forward and then the whole seat slides forward.

Removal of the seat covers is fairly simple, I was prepared to open hog rings but instead the covers just had plastic clips. Unsnap them and peel them off. The seat cushion does have on back screw going through the material, so that will have to be removed. Taking off the seat back has 3 screws, each one is different from the other so remember where each one goes.

Putting the seats back together is just as simple. Be careful, remember the covers are 30 years old, then old 1/4" foam on the back of the covers was disintegrating. You could scrap off the old foam and replace that as well if you wish. I skipped this.

The seat cushion is taped to the frame, mine were unstuck after 30 years so I used some clear Gorilla tape.

IMG_2382.JPG

I flipped the seat over and laid out and cut the 1/2" foam around the seat cushion. You can see the seat Velcro strips from the factory. I cut the foam to fit around the strips.

IMG_2383.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

I used a cloth spray glue (can be bought at a fabric store, I would suggest 3M brand and buy 2 cans). Spray both the seat cushion and the foam pad, then adhere them together.

IMG_2387.JPG

Place the seat cover on top of the seat, you can see where the Velcro stuck the cover so do you best to align those up. You can see the plastic clips that hold the cover to the frame.

IMG_2388.JPG

Fold over all 4 sides of the cover, then flip the seat over. I suggest attaching the front clip first then the rear. Flip the seat back over and check the alignment of the cover. If satisfied, flip back over and attach the 2 sides. I center the clips on each side.

IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

Flip the seat back over and use a butt end of a screwdriver or other smooth tool and rub back and forth where the Velcro strips are to further adhere the cover to the cushion.

IMG_2391.JPG

The back is pretty similar to the seat. Lay the foam out, I used the strips I cut out for the Velcro and used them on the sides for extra bolster. Apply the spray glue to the seat back cushion and foam and adhere them together.

IMG_2392.JPG

Turn the cover inside out, then grab the top center of the cover and grab the seat back. Slowly move the cover over the back from side to side to keep is aligned.

IMG_2394.JPG

When you reach the point of were the seat reclining mechanism bolts to the seat back stop there. Attach the seat back to the seat.

IMG_2395.JPG

Here you can see where the bolt goes through the seat cushion cover.

IMG_2396.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

Once the seat back is bolted to the seat cushion. Fold the rest of the cover over the seat back. Hit the release and let the seat fold together. This will allow you to feed the front part to the back and attach the 2 plastic clips together.

IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

Make any final adjustments you wish and just like the seat, use a smooth tool to attach the cover to the Velcro. Repeat for the 2nd seat then bask in your glory. Total time was about 1-1/2 hours. Difficulty: 1-5: 2.

IMG_2403.JPG

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Nice job. Excellent write-up. Thanks @dvdswan

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
looking good!

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
So, the console thing got me thinking. I know very dangerous. The console from the Explorer was missing the armrest and had some cracks at key mounting locations. I have a 95 Ford Taurus console I use in my D21 and thought I would see if it would fit between the seats. It does... now to go back to the junkyard (darn) and look for a Taurus console.

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
@dvdswan you may have just opened up Pandora's Box on interior upgrades. Now I'm curious to see what else could possibly transfer. I had an '08 Taurus SEL with a similar console

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the thread, really interesting and thought provoking, I never considered a Taurus console.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals