• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II value opinions needed

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Shoot, I'll just have you drop it off at my place then. Lol

For the hot-shot guys it's all about filling an empty trailer on their way back through. Thats how you get the best deals. Wait for them instead of scheduling a definite date.

30 grand doesn't get you much in a v8 Ranger. Trust me. It got me a used 302, a new T5Z, an 8.8 with a Torsen, and A/C, along with a new bench seat cover. New rims and sticky tires, 97 front beam/brake swap with larger Sport Trac rotors, new coil springs, Motorsport 140mph Speedo, Hurst shifter.. I added up all the receipts and was blown away at the cost.

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
$30k doesn't get you very far on a new truck either......

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
30 grand doesn't get you much in a v8 Ranger. Trust me. It got me a used 302, a new T5Z, an 8.8 with a Torsen, and A/C, along with a new bench seat cover. I added up all the receipts and was blown away at the cost.
Depends on if your are buildin' or buyin'...

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Depends on if your are buildin' or buyin'...
Yep, I definitely could have bought a very nice v8 Ranger for cheaper. Probably a Coyote swap if I waited long enough and shopped around.

30k gets a new bottom of the barrel, base model Ranger, or a lightly used new model Ranger..

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Compromise is the lead factor in cost.

Build yourself is a key.

What you buy and how you buy are the huge variables....

like you said with the hotshot. Time over money. Patience.

For v8 power at the moment...the gm engines are cost effective along with the eco boost front drive 4 whixxers for 350 hp.

For instance...
I made money when I did my diesel swap.

And the same on some customer 302 swaps.

I had 400 out of pocket to put a 6.5 diesel in my ranger to be able to afford to daily drive it....the truck I scrapped netted a bit over 600 bux.

That was in 2008. And it is my main vehicle to this day.

In 1995....same truck ..I had like 2500 to 2700 into the intitial gt 40 swap.....very low mile engine...just had a few miles on it.

That endeavor started as a 4.3 with a 5 speed as the initial target powertrain....and ended up all ford.

Now....rear ends and trans missions and t cases......for sure I have 30 k into those particular consumables.

But over 30 years and over million and a quarter miles.....I can deal with it.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Myself i wouldn't pay over 1500 MAX. 1k is iffy. As you stated, the time and energy to get it up and road worthy again is a large tackle if it has sat for 25years. How many vermins have built houses in the thing? Have you actually opened the doors on it and climbed under it to check all those nasty "rust" prone areas on a RBV? You trust 25 YO braking systems? On Craigslist here, I am seeing so many of these same idiots thinking some rusted out JUNK is worth 35K because they seen some show on TV were they "rebuilt" a sh!tbox and expect a sucker to pay for it.

good luck with the "project"

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Here are 2 examples, of "would you pay these prices"? are they worth it? and been for sale for a month now. cheers

they state original, so take your chances.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Myself i wouldn't pay over 1500 MAX. 1k is iffy. As you stated, the time and energy to get it up and road worthy again is a large tackle if it has sat for 25years. How many vermins have built houses in the thing? Have you actually opened the doors on it and climbed under it to check all those nasty "rust" prone areas on a RBV? You trust 25 YO braking systems? On Craigslist here, I am seeing so many of these same idiots thinking some rusted out JUNK is worth 35K because they seen some show on TV were they "rebuilt" a sh!tbox and expect a sucker to pay for it.

good luck with the "project"
Agreed, with a dead horse you have no idea what you are getting into if it doesn't run/drive.

Ok, you stick a 4.0 in with a new clutch and shucky darn the trans is bad. Oh, now the dried out seals are puking oil everywhere on the rear axle. U-joints are dried out in the front axle so you have to blow that apart. And the brakes are shot. And mice have been in the seats and the wiring. And you already know it needs tires...

Real world I don't know how much a clean BII is really worth.

IMO scrap plus easily sellable parts, mainly body and wheels and there is a good chance nobody will want the wheels.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I really don't doubt that he's had offers of $3000 for it. He does seem to think he's sitting on a gold mine. That's why I told him I might call him back in a month or two. Let him get a taste of the market and the idiots in it. If I miss out on it, oh well, I'll find another. Part of my RBV hobby is looking for these rigs every single day. It's part of the fun for me.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Here are 2 examples, of "would you pay these prices"? are they worth it? and been for sale for a month now. cheers

they state original, so take your chances.
That second truck, if I still had my job at General Electric, I'd probably make a deal on it. Although I don't like extended cabs, it's nearly identical to my old 89 Ranger. Gotta love that blue, twin sticks, and it's got a major upgrade from my old 89. The 4.0!!

Although I did have a phone interview for a new job today, making far more than I ever made at GE... So fingers crossed I guess.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Time is the other big one. Hopefully it will be in your favor as planned.

...Zoie is driving an edge at the moment because I did not have the time to go to south Georgia to look at a b2 before it sold....I sent them 500 to hold it...because it was going to be a bit before I could get down there to gawk at it.

. So....she is in 10 g instead of 5g for a ride. But the edge is nice..
And probably better in the long run.

That was a b2 that required a trailer to pick up in the ad..... And went for 5g...

...I was in at 3500....guy sent me back 550. So I bought a new Innova to replace the one I just smashed.

That truck was deemed undrivable because the brakes were trashed...blown lines ECT ...and the wipers did not work.

Which is simply a non issue.

At this age it's getting all new lines as a matter of course...

.when I tallied up the brakes for it...I was 370ish all in. Everything new...rotors...bearings...drums...lines and fittings..

I would have done that...went down and installed it all.......and based on the test ride...the plan was to haggle from there....if the rest was not as described.

Because it was supposed to be a runner with working ac....and a bad power window on the passenger side....if that was actually accurate....I would have just paid as it was worth it.

the plan was to drive it home....but dolly if it wasn't a runner.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
At this point, I'm waiting on a phone call from a potential new employer. If I get that call, I'll be waiting six months or so and then more than likely getting on the waiting list for a new full size Bronco.

In the meantime, I still plan to call him after waiting a while. Let him simmer a little while on the offers he's already gotten. That should clue him in on the current market for a non-running BII. If I miss it I miss it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Current crazy market aside anything that says "Bronco" has been stupid for over a year.

A couple months ago there was a crusty BII sitting in the weeds with a back side window blown out and an organic green interior for sale and they were asking $1800.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Everyone's opinion on value is different. I have (guessing) around $15k in my V8, SAS swapped truck. That's all inclusive too...... tires, lift parts, RCV axle shafts, twin stick parts, winch, etc. But I did it all myself. The only thing I had someone else do was set up gears in my front axle.

Personally I think the seller has a smart tactic. If you have a nice start to a project like it sounds this is, starting really high automatically weeds out all the tards who want it for scrap value... they probably won't even contact him. If he started at a thousand bucks, there would be a hundred people beating his door down to take $200 for it. And if he's patient and it's already sat for 25 years...what's a few more to find the right buyer?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Everyone's opinion on value is different. I have (guessing) around $15k in my V8, SAS swapped truck. That's all inclusive too...... tires, lift parts, RCV axle shafts, twin stick parts, winch, etc. But I did it all myself. The only thing I had someone else do was set up gears in my front axle.

Personally I think the seller has a smart tactic. If you have a nice start to a project like it sounds this is, starting really high automatically weeds out all the tards who want it for scrap value... they probably won't even contact him. If he started at a thousand bucks, there would be a hundred people beating his door down to take $200 for it. And if he's patient and it's already sat for 25 years...what's a few more to find the right buyer?
He bought it from the guy that had it parked for 25 years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals