• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II rear seat delete/cargo area modifications

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Tell you another idea I have had. Backstory;

My BII is a 84, it has the aluminum trim around the side rear windows. Well apparently in some sort of previous accident the pass side window was broken. Found little bits of glass when doing my tear down, and someone put the later style rubber only window in it and did not do a very good job of it. It looks bad with some sealer visible on the outside, but it doesn't leak.

I have been searching, not very hard, for a 84 (maybe 85 also?) that would have the trim I need. Not sure if I could take the rubber out, glue the window in place, and put the new found trim back in to match the other side.

I said all the above to give the back story to me contemplating taking one or both of the side windows out all together. Filling the hole with a piece of formed sheetmetal, then cutting the center out to fit a sliding window like in a RV, or a hinged up door/window like in those contractor bed caps. If I could get around any leaking issues, it would make access to the rear cargo area great. I think I could paint the formed metal I make to cover the opening black, and most people would not notice the difference between it and the original window, except the additional opening in the sides for access.
If you’re still looking for a set of the aluminum clip on type trim I believe I have two full sets if you’re interested. Hit me back. I’m in southern Michigan but could easily ship them.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That's pretty slick... I was having a hard time visualizing what you had going on. Still leaves you lots of room behind the front seats for... stuff.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Yes lots of room. Still have all original cargo area plus under and around the spare. I usually have a jack and lug wrench and some recovery straps and such in a canvas bag. Emergency blanket and some snacks. Even a small cooler. No kids at home so no need for the seat.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
When I looked at the picture... I said a duffle bag full of your recovery gear stuffed under the spare.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
This is my 89 with 1/2 seat delete. I only removed the bottom portion. It maintains a nice flat area for cargo but allows for storage behind the front seats usually occupied by the folded forward rear seat. Notice my shortened center consol. With 3” body lift and M50D R1 my shifter was hitting my coffee cup. Had to move it rearward and shorten it As it wouldn’t allow rear seats to fold forward. Then I removed seats😜
A2FADF81-A4F1-4105-9550-790DB3BAF9C1.jpeg
49BAC3F4-D3F2-4F2D-A72F-E29FF059B52D.jpeg

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
This is my 89 with 1/2 seat delete. I only removed the bottom portion. It maintains a nice flat area for cargo but allows for storage behind the front seats usually occupied by the folded forward rear seat. Notice my shortened center consol. With 3” body lift and M50D R1 my shifter was hitting my coffee cup. Had to move it rearward and shorten it As it wouldn’t allow rear seats to fold forward. Then I removed seats😜View attachment 67165View attachment 67166
That's how my 88 B2 is all the time, just have the back seat folded down...I don't really haul much back there most of the time, but its a pain getting into and out of the back seat area as the front passenger seat doesn't really slide forward enough, it doesn't tilt and slide like others I've seen, just whatever the amount it slides forward on the adjustment rails then the seat back tilts forward...not much room there to get in and out easily...very stupid design...wish it did what the seat in my 88 F250 does...you pull a lever on it and the seat back tilts forward and the whole seat flips forward at the same time...why Ford didn't use that same idea in the Bronco 2 is pretty stupid I think. I've seen a few other designs as well, so they had several different seat base systems, guess they never decided what to use.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
My 89 passenger seat slides forward and tilts towards the dash when you lift the lever but both my 85s the whole seat tilts to the dash but doesn’t slide. In fact the seat is stationary and has no slide. I think the 89 gives more room to get in back.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
you pull a lever on it and the seat back tilts forward and the whole seat flips forward at the same time
My '03 does this but my '11 does not. I wounder if this was somehow an added option. Both are XLT with 2 door super cabs.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I had to check my 86...

Lift the lever and the seat back tilts forward and the the seat moves forward. No "tumble". Once back down... it has no fore/aft movement.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All of mine I've had were the ejection style seat.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I've got to say that the room to access the rear of the Bronco is way better then I can get in my 06 2 door super cab. Enough so I think I can use the area directly behind the seats where in my truck to put/remove anything behind the seat is a total PITA.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
That's how my 88 B2 is all the time, just have the back seat folded down...I don't really haul much back there most of the time, but its a pain getting into and out of the back seat area as the front passenger seat doesn't really slide forward enough, it doesn't tilt and slide like others I've seen, just whatever the amount it slides forward on the adjustment rails then the seat back tilts forward...not much room there to get in and out easily...very stupid design...wish it did what the seat in my 88 F250 does...you pull a lever on it and the seat back tilts forward and the whole seat flips forward at the same time...why Ford didn't use that same idea in the Bronco 2 is pretty stupid I think. I've seen a few other designs as well, so they had several different seat base systems, guess they never decided what to use.
All BII's didn't have what someone called the "ejector option" on the pass seat? My 84 is nothing special and it has it. There is a special lever close to the floor below the seat back fold up lever. Lift that special lever and the whole complete seat lifts up and forward toward the glove box.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
All BII's didn't have what someone called the "ejector option" on the pass seat? My 84 is nothing special and it has it. There is a special lever close to the floor below the seat back fold up lever. Lift that special lever and the whole complete seat lifts up and forward toward the glove box.
I guess not all of them have it...I've had an 84 and currently my 88 Bronco 2, neither had the "ejector type seat"...They don't have a forward and back adjustment they're fixed but have a hinge on the front portion of the seat so when they're unlatched they just fold and tilt forward...seatback folds forward and then the whole seat tips forward...great for entry and exit...the way mine is, the seat tracks are in the way for safe entry and exit from the back seat.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought the seat thing was hear specific. Older one had the "ejection seat" style and the later ones had the sliding style like the ranger super cabs of later had?

Don't know for sure, but my 85 has the kind with the "lift" tab and the passenger seat raises up towards the dash.

YepIt'sMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If I had the time, I think I would cut a piece of plywood to cover the entire rear area including where the seats were all the way up to behind the front seats. That would give you a flat cargo area. Then take 2 bys and build up from the floorboard behind the seats to close it in and support the plywood, and then cut the top of the plywood out and make a hinged door to open up to store stuff behind the front seats. It's a fairly deep area behind the front seats when you take the back seats out.
Yep. :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals