• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II Rear Quarter Windows -- Molding?

benhoger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I'm getting the Bronco II painted. To redo the lackluster job the previous owner had done. Unfortunately, they painted over the window molding. I took it to the paint shop to get a quote and according to their glass guy, it seems that the molding is part of the window and can not be replaced. Rather, you would have to replace the whole window.

Please reference the attached images. Considering the shape of the molding, I'm not sure if it can be sanded down to be re-painted. What material is it? Also note how the molding lifts in some of the corners. How could this best be addressed?

I want to make an informed decision before handing the keys over to the shop and letting them do as they please, but I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information about these windows and moldings after a few searches.

Attachments

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What year b2? Its been a very long time since I've done anything with a b2. IIRC there is two different styles of window attachment. If your lucky, you can unbolt the window from the inside and remove it prior to paint. The trim is a hardened rubber that is part of the glass. You may be able to use paint stripper while the glass is out of the body. I'm not really sure how paint stripper would react to the rubber molding.

benhoger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What year b2? Its been a very long time since I've done anything with a b2. IIRC there is two different styles of window attachment. If your lucky, you can unbolt the window from the inside and remove it prior to paint. The trim is a hardened rubber that is part of the glass. You may be able to use paint stripper while the glass is out of the body. I'm not really sure how paint stripper would react to the rubber molding.
This is an 89. This isn't a detachable window like the older models. I believe it pops in with rivets from what I've been able to make out online. Assuming the molding is rubber, how it would react to paint stripper is my concern too.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
On my '84 Bronco II the rear quarters had trim around them that are held on with clips like the windshield trim. I wonder if the body still has all the little studs that those trim clips attach to under that molding?

benhoger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Buddy of mine told me that the kind of molding (the type that wraps around the glass, requiring you to take it out if you want to replace it) has a certain name, though im drawing a blank right now. He said any good glass guy should be able to replace it for me. I'm hoping to find someone when this is all over. I can't stand too look at these poorly painted moldings.

CUracing

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sure the molding is made onto the glass, and bolts in the body. 84 was only year that used separate glass/molding. Are new windows available? How much? If not available new your 2 choices would be to try n repair current glass or find used ones. Don't have to use paint stripper, could sand off paint, of course windows need to be removed to repaint body regardless of what route you take with windows.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals