• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chopped Top B2 on Wagoneer chassis

crisd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've set a Bronco II on a shortened Wagoneer chassis. Also, cut the top off the rear and welded on a Ranger rear. Does anyone care to read how I did it? Here are some random pics during the build.

Attachments

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sure!

Kind of amusing, there is a channel on youtube I kinda follow where they grafted the front of a TTB F-150 frame onto a Wagoneer frame (with the wagoneer body still on it)

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep, I'm always interested in swaps.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

crisd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I wasn't sure if anyone was interested in a cut up Bronco II on a Jeep chassis since it's kind of Frankenstein. So a little back ground... I wanted to upgrade my Wagoneer's three speed automatic to a five speed manual, a stronger transfer case, and better brakes. After a lot of research and number crunching I found it was cheaper to swap the Wagoneer onto a chassis that already had everything I wanted. No shit. A lot more work... but cheaper. In the end, it came out better than I expected. https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21401
After that was done, I had a left over perfectly good Wagoneer chassis and drivetrain and my sister's Bronco II wasn't running... sooo... frame swap number two.

Attachments

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
That looks like a lot of work. Did you just use the Jeep chassis because you had it? I haven't seen a Wagoneer in decades, Rambler/AMC steel is soluble in road salt and NH makes sure to use plenty.

crisd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have to dig up the actual number of inches I had to shorten the frame but it was about 16" inches I think. I cut the sections from just in front of the rear wheels then used the sections I cut out as the plates I used to hold the two frame sections together. I drilled holes in the plate and bolted it together. Once I was sure the frame was straight I welded it up. I had to cut out sections in the fire wall to make room for the V8 banks and then welded up new covers to fill the holes.
I bought a non-running Ford Ranger for $150, an 1989 model year I think, and cut off the rear of the bed and welded it to the rear of the Bronco that had the upper portion and rear section of the rear cut off. I welded steel sheet to the bed rails and up around on the newly removed roof. The rear fender wells were cut and narrowed to give more usable bed width. A much better aluminum radiator was fitted which required trimming around the radiator supports along with lowering the top of the lower support. The radiator is for a Ford Explorer, I'll have to look up the model year. Here are a few pics that are on my computer, I'll have to load some more later from my phone and take a few more as well.

Attachments

crisd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
19Walt93, I convinced my sister to do the swap because of a couple of reasons. One, she had installed a 4" body lift so she could fit bigger tires and I hate body lifts, friends don't let friends install body lifts. Two, the tiny underpowered 2.9 V6 stopped running and I didn't want to waste my time making that dingy anchor run. Three, the Waggy already had a proper suspension lift, bigger rims and tires, and a big V8 with much stronger Dana 44 axles just begging to be used.

crisd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A few more pics.
This is where I cut the frame in two.

Attachments

crisd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had to notch the lower support to clear the wagoneer steering gear box.

Attachments

crisd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Top removed and inside view of bed. The raw cuts were capped with steel sheet.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals