• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco ii Mods

B288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i'm the proud owner of a 1988 Ford Bronco ii and a absolutely love this vehicle. i do have some mods in mind, and i would like your opinion on these. i'm not hugely mechanically inclined :bawling: but i know some. i also have welding and cutting experience :icon_welder: (thats what i'm going to college for) anyway. the first thing i want to do is put a Cummins diesel engine in, but in company with that i'm not sure what size (4, 6, or even 12 cylinder) i need, because i want to put a dually axle in the rear. i know this will have something to do with getting a new transfer case, or transmission or something. and i still want to convert it to four wheel drive, not sure if its possible to do both the axle and the 4 wheel drive. anyway i dont know if this is even possible. or practical for this vehicle but it would be cool. any ideas on these? like i said theres so much more i want to do, but none of it is as iffy as the axle.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would not do a dually axle. Frankly, something that size under something as small as a B2 will just look funny.

A 6BT will be fight. A 12BT will be almost the length of the whole vehicle. A 4BT is a popular choice for these swaps.

As for the 4x4 conversion, if you want to go with a Cummins swap, search around for "SAS" or "solid axle swap".

B288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I would not do a dually axle. Frankly, something that size under something as small as a B2 will just look funny.

As for the 4x4 conversion, if you want to go with a Cummins swap, search around for "SAS" or "solid axle swap".
But would the dually axle be possible? i'm curious. and if it is could i still use a 4BT cummins with the SAS to make it four wheel drive?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It all depends on what axle you want to use. I mean, anything is possible. How much effort do you want to put into it. IIRC the favored axle for dually RBVs is the rear axle out of a Toyota Buddy RV. Right width, roughly the right mounting, etc.

Rear axle and front axle have very little to do with each other. As long as your gears match, you CAN do WETF you want, as long as your skills are up to it. SAS is the best way to turn a 2wd into a 4x4, and most of the Cummins swappers do it to beef up the front end anyway.

B288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
It all depends on what axle you want to use. I mean, anything is possible. How much effort do you want to put into it. IIRC the favored axle for dually RBVs is the rear axle out of a Toyota Buddy RV. Right width, roughly the right mounting, etc. .
Would putting this in kill my gas mileage?

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
use the search bar at the top of the page for more info

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Short answer is yes. How much depends on your specific situation but you'll have increased drag through the air as well as through the driveline.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals