• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco ii has no power

adrago247

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
I recently started my 87 b2 for the first time after i swapped in a 302 w a holley 4bbl and a summit hei style distributor. I havent set up the neutral safety switch so i jumped the starter via the solenoid. After i had broken in my cam, i let the engine die as i hadnt dialed in the carb yet. When i went to start it again i had no power anywhere in the truck. No red battery light, no headlights, no ignition or fuel pump, nothing. It cranked by jumping the solenoid but ofc didnt start. I have checked the fusible links by the solenoid and the 2 on top of the pass side fender liner. Also checked the two yellow wires at the ignition switch and no power there. I am confused. Any help is appreciated!

UPDATE: SOLVED: I am dumb. I found one of the wires at the solenoid had a bad connection. It had been stretched out so it was startin to tear and get really corroded. Shouldve been hpt at all times but only had like 6.5V. Spliced in a new section of wire w a new ring terminal for now but will be picking up a less used wiring harness at the JY next time i go.

Last edited:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
May sound silly, but what about the battery connections for corrosion or looseness. Both positive and negative cables on both sides. If you have no lights or anything that is where I'd look first.

adrago247

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
May sound silly, but what about the battery connections for corrosion or looseness. Both positive and negative cables on both sides. If you have no lights or anything that is where I'd look first.
Ive checked all that. It has power to the solenoid as well as after the fusible links. Also has constant power at the fuel pump relay

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
No red battery light, no headlights, no ignition or fuel pump, nothing. It cranked by jumping the solenoid but ofc didnt start.
Sorry, I missed the 2nd sentence. So, since you have power to the relay, I would check your switched power from the ignition switch. turn the key to run and check power to the relay, distributor, and check the solenoid with someone turning the key to start.

adrago247

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Sorry, I missed the 2nd sentence. So, since you have power to the relay, I would check your switched power from the ignition switch. turn the key to run and check power to the relay, distributor, and check the solenoid with someone turning the key to start.
I dont have the neutral safety switch hooked up yet so Ive been starting it by jumping the starter solenoid using the battery and signal posts. I dunno if that could blow something up. Does all the power in the truck get run thru one thing? Minus the starter ofc.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I dont have the neutral safety switch hooked up yet so Ive been starting it by jumping the starter solenoid using the battery and signal posts. I dunno if that could blow something up. Does all the power in the truck get run thru one thing? Minus the starter ofc.
Yes. Those yellow wires that feed the ignition switch and the fuse box all come to one point there at the starter solenoid on the fender. It's the smaller wire hooked with the large battery + wire on the solenoid.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yours should be close to the same as the diagram below.

You can see in this diagram, it can have many smaller wires under the large battery cable on the solenoid. The solenoid is the square box on the middle left of the diagram called "starter relay". The dotted line above that is the large post going to the battery, and the dotted line means all that stuff can be optional. The yellow wire along with the black/orange on the top right of the diagram are also connected, and that yellow one is what feeds power to the truck. The black/orange feeds the headlight switch.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Yours should be close to the same as the diagram below.

You can see in this diagram, it can have many smaller wires under the large battery cable on the solenoid. The solenoid is the square box on the middle left of the diagram called "starter relay". The dotted line above that is the large post going to the battery, and the dotted line means all that stuff can be optional. The yellow wire along with the black/orange on the top right of the diagram are also connected, and that yellow one is what feeds power to the truck. The black/orange feeds the headlight switch.

That diagram reminds me that I need to try to get my ammeter hooked up on my V8 swap 87 Ranger. I never could figure it out. It's the last factory gauge that I have to get working. ugh

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have never seen a factory ammeter that actually worked and told you any useful information. If you stare at it carefully, it may move a little bit but not much. A voltmeter would be more useful. Even a idiot charging light would be more useful. I would not bother with it.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
If you smell burning meat when you turn the key, there is a gremlin shorting out somewhere.

adrago247

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15

adrago247

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
My buddy has a couple full ranger body and engine harnesses un his garage. Im gonna find all the fusible links so i know where they are on my truck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals