• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco ii 87 2.9 runs for 15 minutes until starts ticking loud!

Ikesbronciasaurus

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey guys been trying to get my bronco 2 started for about a month Finally got her started just needed a new ecm relay! After decided to change out a lot of ignition part along the way! excited BUT she is doing the same thing she has done for three years now that’s it’s running. She runs for 15/20 minutes then this ticking sound gradually gets louder and the engine kind of sounds like it’s bogging when I change gears and like kind of bogging when driving in 3rd going 25 mph so the ticking gets louder (I can’t tell if the clicking/ticking sound is from the distributor) then as the ticking gets louder the oil light starts flickering and it seems to start bogging even more and smoking and just feels like something’s going to pop! any help appreciated! Here’s a summary
1. Ticking gets louder and louder gradually sounds like distributor very loud after 15 min ticking fluctuates in line with revving engine
2. Bogging sounds like how a semi truck sounds! It bogs whenever changing gears like it’s almost going to stall out but never does
3. Oil light gets brighter and brighter after 15 min and it starts really smoking from the back of the engine like looks like from valve covers thanks guys for any help oil quality and quantity good here’s what I changed in the last year and a half btw she’s been sitting for about a year I’ll do what needs to be done to fix it! But I don’t know what this issue is!
Last year and a half change/fix list
Fuel Filter
In-line fuel pump
Low pressure fuel pump
Starter
Radiator
Fuel injector o rings and cleaned injectors
Valve cover gaskets and cleaned covers
Ignition control moduel
Ignition coil
Spark plugs
Fuel pump relay
Ecm relay

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Ticking is most likely the rocker arms contacting the push rods or valve stems. Oil light says you have insufficient oil pressure so it will not maintain required amount in the hydraulic lifters. low Oil pressure is generally caused by worn bearings. Tolerances have been exceeded and the oil is no longer restricted and is allowed to simply run out. Pressure can only be achieved if the flow is restricted.
Time for an overhaul.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
As tw205 said... I kinda tend to agree. Cold engine makes higher pressure then it typically lowers as the engine warms up.

If you haven't yet... you should put an oil pressure gauge on it to verify where you're at.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals