• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco 2

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Did you put the shroud back on and did it then continue overheating afterwards?
it stopped overheating when I put it back on.

85 Red

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to the forum

Cold engine
Take radiator cap off, should be full to the top if there are no leaks
Start engine
Watch coolant at cap opening
Should not be over flowing, might have on "burp" on start up then no flow in radiator at all, coolant should just sit there

If it starts to over flow then yes, looks like a blown head gasket or cracked head
A cylinder is pumping "air"(exhaust) into the cooling system, displacing coolant in the heads and pushing it out the radiator cap opening

If coolant just sits there then no bad head gasket or head

Water pump bypass may be clogged or blocked
Water pump bypass is also know as the Heater Core, lol
The heater hoses send coolant from upper intake(thermostat) to heater core(firewall) and then another hose brings it back to water pump
This needs to be clear passage of coolant
If outside you can take off both heater hoses and put a garden hose on the heater core and flush it out to see if there is good flow, in both directions
And just a heads up, you should swap heater hose around at the firewall every 2 years when you change coolant, that reverses the flow thru it and will help it last longer

Are water pump and fan spinning the right way, serpentine belts can be install backwards on water pump pulley so way less cooling

Bad thermostat, yes new, but YOU are the one testing this new part, so if its a bad part................

Regardless you need the shroud but not your issue
Welcome to the forum

Cold engine
Take radiator cap off, should be full to the top if there are no leaks
Start engine
Watch coolant at cap opening
Should not be over flowing, might have on "burp" on start up then no flow in radiator at all, coolant should just sit there

If it starts to over flow then yes, looks like a blown head gasket or cracked head
A cylinder is pumping "air"(exhaust) into the cooling system, displacing coolant in the heads and pushing it out the radiator cap opening

If coolant just sits there then no bad head gasket or head

Water pump bypass may be clogged or blocked
Water pump bypass is also know as the Heater Core, lol
The heater hoses send coolant from upper intake(thermostat) to heater core(firewall) and then another hose brings it back to water pump
This needs to be clear passage of coolant
If outside you can take off both heater hoses and put a garden hose on the heater core and flush it out to see if there is good flow, in both directions
And just a heads up, you should swap heater hose around at the firewall every 2 years when you change coolant, that reverses the flow thru it and will help it last longer

Are water pump and fan spinning the right way, serpentine belts can be install backwards on water pump pulley so way less cooling

Bad thermostat, yes new, but YOU are the one testing this new part, so if its a bad part................

Regardless you need the shroud but not your issue

Its a blown head gasket. I think he was telling me slow so not an all at once thing if you know what I mean . He should have changed the radiator 1st before doing the A/c. His guy at the desk said the old radiator clogged and it overheated while they were working on the ac repair.

He is saying that it was probably blown somewhat before but I had the heads shaved a few years ago and it was driving cool cool until all at once now. Of course he is saying that to cover his tail.

How would you go about finding an engine I dont think I want to shave the heads again bcause too many shaves is probably not a good idea. I hear some mechanics dont recommend it.

If another engine was put in it do you know if it is a huge amount of work more to put a fuel injection 2.9 liter like in the 86? I have been seeing some modernized upgraded carberaturs now by holly too though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals