• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken coil spacer and tired springs. What would you do?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I am eagerly awaiting your take on the ride quality with the new springs; how do they feel while driving? 🙂

rang-a-stang

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Adjustable bushings? Did you ballpark the alignment?
I ballparked mine, but can't test it yet cuz it's freakin' Michigan.

It looks like it is "sitting pretty," as they say. If anything, you might have a little positive camber (listen to me -- I've done it one time and now I'm an expert o_O).
We did ball park the alignment. It handles pretty much exactly the same as pre-curb kiss.
Check that alignment The bearings on D28 don't like misalignment and 31inch tires
Rgr. it's just ballparked at this point. We are letting the coils "seat" for a bit before we get a pro to re-align it. We need do to a clutch now, too. so Alignment after clutch.

22 and 9/16" or 22.56"
YES! concur!
I am eagerly awaiting your take on the ride quality with the new springs; how do they feel while driving? 🙂
copy. More below.
Offroad trip this weekend was great! He said the front did NOT rub at ALL! Usually the front would rub at the fairings at full lock and compression. He said it felt much more comfortable on the woops, too. So far he is super stoked on it!

Only downside was the clutch started to make some squealing noises after a couple steep hills. We ordered a new clutch kit today and hope to install it next weekend.

(thread hi-jacking my own thread): Should we plan to do the rear main seal at the same time we are doing the clutch? Can we do the RMS without dropping the oil plan?

I'll take measurements on the stance tonight when we get home. I suspect it is still slightly off.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Rang a Stang,

You have an 86, so it is a 2.9L, the rear main seal is not a problem unless it's leaking; if you've swapping in a 4.0L, then the rear main seal IS A PROBLEM...if it's leaking.

I just wanted to recommend using a 4.0L clutch instead of the 2.9L clutch. It is larger and far more durable. There is a very good write up in the tech pages on the requirements ..)

rang-a-stang

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Rang a Stang,

You have an 86, so it is a 2.9L, the rear main seal is not a problem unless it's leaking; if you've swapping in a 4.0L, then the rear main seal IS A PROBLEM...if it's leaking.

I just wanted to recommend using a 4.0L clutch instead of the 2.9L clutch. It is larger and far more durable. There is a very good write up in the tech pages on the requirements ..)
Dangit!!! I got your message a little too late. I ordered a Luk flywheel and clutch kit from Rockauto (and a release bearing) for the 2.9 and we are going to install them all tonight/tomorrow. It was about $170 out the door. The flywheel was only $40! That's cheaper than I paid to resurface the last flywheel I did! AND it comes with a new ring gear! Whoo Hooo! This also means we have everything to complete the job and won't have to wait on a machine shop to do the flywheel.

Copy all on rear main seal.
******************************************************************************************************
After a good weekend of off-roading it looks like the springs have mostly leveled out. I see a 1/4" difference between them, now. I am going to stick one washer in the passenger side just because I have it and it's easy. If I did not have the washer I would just let it ride.
Driver side

Passenger side

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I find it weird how most rangers have the lean to them. Mine has a lean to the left side even after new springs in the rear.

It would be interesting to see the difference in ride height after the washer was installed.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Don't be worried about the 2.9 clutch.
I ran one behind my 4.0 for ?7? years doing stupid stuff (4 wheel burnout attempt anybody?) and other than broken springs it was in just as good a shape when I pulled it as when I put it in.

rang-a-stang

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
It took us 6 hours to get the transmission/xfer case out. At this point, I will not be putting that washer in because I am sooooo fried on this thing. Maybe in the coming months but at this point, I think this front suspension is done.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i wonder if these sit high on the driver side to correct when a person is sitting in them?

like in some types of repairs or alignments, you are supposed to put 150 pounds in the driver seat

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals