• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broke the Aussie locker, running over options, thoughts?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I found why the locker was clicking last weekend driving on the street, I think it's toast... I'll pull the diff cover again today hopefully and see for sure... I think I've put 30-40k miles on the thing and a fair amount of wheeling miles in that

Anywho, for the money I'm not upset, that locker was barely noticeable on the street, ratcheted here and there but not bad, I'd still recommend one and am still thinking of getting another...

So, while out wheeling after it broke talking to friends several were saying to look into a Yukon Grizzly locker, I haven't seen much on here about them but I haven't dug in too far, being full carrier instead of lunchbox it should be better... Amazon has them for $550ish which beats Jegs or Summit by $200. I am pondering getting another Aussie though...

My ABS hasn't worked in 10 years so it probably doesn't matter if the tone ring isn't there but I'm curious anyway about it.

The Ranger is most likely just going to get tweaked here and there but stay similar, I like it how it is and anything more extreme the Explorer will get built for... so I'll be staying D35/8.8, it just works...

Anyone with other thoughts on lockers? How would you spend my money? :) I don't want selectable and no spools, I'm going to skip the thought of welding it solid for right now...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Did research and didn't find any complaints about the Grizzly locker so I have one coming... for only $200 more than a lunchbox it wasn't hard math... should be here Wednesday so I'll update when I have something to update...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Plus installation costs.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
well yeah, conveniently if I get over my head on the install I have good friends... it "should" just be reshimming the carrier bearings until the pattern gets where it was but that's not my luck so I'm not counting my chickens...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The Yukon Grizzly is in, few notes for future searching purposes for others looking into it. The locker is set up for the tone ring, easy enough to knock off with a hammer (I used a tiny one, it's not much of an interference and didn't take much heat to get it on) so I put it on. This is likely isolated so don't bet on it working out like this but I used new diff bearings and the stock shims and the backlash and pattern lined up a little better than the worn out bearings... So far the only annoying thing about this locker is you have to take off the bearing cap to get the cross pin out, they use a 8mm bolt with an allen head that's longer than stock with a bigger head so it does not sneak by the cap. On the plus side the ONLY thing the cross pin does is keep the axles and C clips from falling out.

Of course while I was there I noticed an axle seal went out and while straightening out some bends in the backing plates I broke a parking brake shoe so it won't be sitting on tires until tomorrow...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals