• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broke axle what next?

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I ordered Yukons with superjoints. Got them for $520 shipped. I thought it was a good deal.
...keep well away from Yukons. There is a reason Yukon shafts are so cheap.

...Otherwise just go with the Spicer 5-760X joints and mod a set of stock shafts to accept the full-circle clips (the cheapest option that's also probably still stronger than using Yukons).

???

Junkie knows his stuff.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I know, im just hoping it works out ok. It was to good of deal I feel to pass up. I have been reading mixxed reviews on them. If I have troubles with these I will warrenty them and sell then n buy something else or go D60. I dont wanna go through swapping everything back over again. Plus im on un employment and dont wanna spend $700+ on shafts.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd have put junkyard axles in it and been easy on it while I saved the dough for a 60.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Since you already have the straight axle suspension set up under there, moving to the 60 should be hardly any work at all (other than narrowing it a bit, if desired). I would think it'll work nicely with your airshock setup.

Not to sound mean, but this is precisely the reason why I've never been a fan of swapping D35s out with D44s, they just are NOT stronger where it needs to count.
The D60 stock gets you all the strength of a D44 blinged out with the GOOD sh!t (not Yukon) and then still offers all the same upgradeability should you find yourself STILL breaking stuff (simply swapping to 35-spline outer stubs will take the 60 way beyond anything a 44 could ever hope to be, regardless of how much $$$ you throw at it... '05up 60s already have 35 spl stubs stock too). The 60 is just a better axle that offers a much better value in the long run.
Throw in the 10.25" (or 10.5") rear from the same donor truck so it matches up with the front (rears generally come pretty cheap too).

Anyway, good luck with it.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, if these break Im gonna warrenty them and sell the axle hole and find a d60. Whats it cost to get a custom length shaft? and can you swap some sort of hub to make them 5 lug so i dont need to buy another new set of wheels? I like how wide it is now, I get away with no fender flairs and can still bearly fit on the trails I run.

tpking

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
should be able to find adapters to run your 5 lug

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Your axle shaft, cut and splined, should run $50-75.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Adapters to 5x5.5" won't work on a 60. You can however machine the hubs down slightly and then redrill the flange itself for 5x5.5" (Dynatrac and one other company I can't remember the name, also sell D60 hubs that are already 5x5.5", but they are a bit pricey).

If your current wheels are 15s though, they may not fit over the 60's brake calipers.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Adapters to 5x5.5" won't work on a 60. You can however machine the hubs down slightly and then redrill the flange itself for 5x5.5" (Dynatrac and one other company I can't remember the name, also sell D60 hubs that are already 5x5.5", but they are a bit pricey).

If your current wheels are 15s though, they may not fit over the 60's brake calipers.
Ok cool, I will look into that. I am a baller and run 17s, lol.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Cool, you should have no problem then :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals