• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broke axle what next?

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Broke a RF axle today on the Ranger. Pissis me off it broke on only the second trip out. Glad I had a locker in the front so I could get out. So I was gonna buy ReidRacing knuckles and highsteer but now im debating buying Chromo axles, and CTMs instead. What do you guys think? Should I just say fawk it and do both? Im not really wanting to drop a grand right not but if i have to i will. Any thoughts?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I think a rear locker would take a lot of stress off the front, right now your front's doing a lot of the work.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I think a rear locker would take a lot of stress off the front, right now your front's doing a lot of the work.
x2 I've never liked the front only locker for exactly that reason. Sure, the front helps pull you up over shit better, but not if it's broke. :icon_rofl:

But as far as your question, I'd go chromos, with Longfield joints.:D , I haven't seen your current steering, but it'll probably work till you get a couple more paychecks in..

I'd also look into WHY the shaft broke, just old and fatigued? stressed wrong?

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
x2 I've never liked the front only locker for exactly that reason. Sure, the front helps pull you up over shit better, but not if it's broke. :icon_rofl:

But as far as your question, I'd go chromos, with Longfield joints.:D , I haven't seen your current steering, but it'll probably work till you get a couple more paychecks in..

I'd also look into WHY the shaft broke, just old and fatigued? stressed wrong?
It has an Eaton L/S in the rear wich is coming out, its worthless. I may just go full spool or do a detroit. The axle was the OE from 79 with new ujoints. It may have already been cracked. Or just from being bound up bigtime with 37s and I got throttle happy :D

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You running 5-760X spicer joints and full clips??

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
No, the 297x and not full clips.

Edit: Gonna order these today. Then get Boby Long Ujoints. I called and the shafts are Yukon with a lifetime warrenty on the first set. What do you guys think? Is there a better brand to go with? They told me they cant put on there they are Yukons because they have them cheaper than Yukons suggested msrp.
Item #22034N - New
STRONGEST AXLES AVAILABLE!!!
4340 Chrome Moly Axle Set
1978-79 Ford Bronco
1976-79 Ford F100 and F150(2) Inners Axle, (2) Outers Axle, and (2) Slingers
DOES NOT INCLUDE U-JOINTS

For use in 1978-79 Ford Bronco and 1976-79 Ford F150.
If you're looking for strength and durability, you found it!
Dana 44 4340 Chrome-moly front axles are made only from the best steel available and are engineered to withstand even the most extreme off-road conditions.
Chrome-moly axles are through hardened to a consistent 46 to 51 Rockwell.
This deep heat treating along with the high quality material give you 35-40% strength increase over stock axle shafts.
This makes the Chrome Moly axle shafts approximately the same strength as a stock 1979 D60 front axles.
NOTE:
Does not fit F150 Supercab

Our Price: $319.00

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I bet a half clip came off and it spat a cap, then the trunion smashed the crap out the ears on the axle shaft.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
It very well could have. When it broke it threw a piece of the ujoint and hit my friend in the leg leaving about a 2" round bruise. The whole thing just granaded, he was lucky it didnt hit him anywere else like in the junk. It missed by about 4".

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
It very well could have. When it broke it threw a piece of the ujoint and hit my friend in the leg leaving about a 2" round bruise. The whole thing just granaded, he was lucky it didnt hit him anywere else like in the junk. It missed by about 4".
Sorry about your axle. On the other hand if you had hit him in the crotch with a grenaded axle shaft (and it didn't cause permanent damage) that would have made the best offroading story ever.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Unless Yukon has changed something recently their alloys aren't much stronger than the stockers from what I've seen, USA Alloy and Superior Alloy seem like the way to go.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I bet a half clip came off and it spat a cap, then the trunion smashed the crap out the ears on the axle shaft.
I see a broken trunnion there. I doubt that it spit a cap first (or that the shafts were fatigued).

What do you guys think?

Honestly I would say ditch the 44 and go with a 60. You're likely to spend almost as much trying to make the D44 hold up.

If you do decide to go the direction of alloy shafts however (being that you've already got the axle mounted under there), then keep well away from Yukons. There is a reason Yukon shafts are so cheap.

Alloy USA recently became Ten-Factory. These (or Superior Axle shafts) would be the ones to get, as they are actually noticeably stronger than stock (although still not quite as strong as 35-spline D60 stuff). Then go with the CTM or Longfield u-joints.
Otherwise just go with the Spicer 5-760X joints and mod a set of stock shafts to accept the full-circle clips (the cheapest option that's also probably still stronger than using Yukons).

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
What about the Moser shafts?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Moser had a ton of issues with the yokes stretching and egging in the past (and many reported getting shafts warrantied was a PITA with them). I haven't heard much about them lately though (yay or nay).

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Dana 60. :beer:

Or, throw some 760s in there with full clips, and don't go too nuts with the wheels cut all the way.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I ordered Yukons with superjoints. Got them for $520 shipped. I thought it was a good deal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals