• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bringing back my 2003 Ranger 4x4 after being totaled

mikesierra46.2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
My 2003 4x4 got rear-ended a few weeks ago and insurance company declared it totaled. Truck bed, tailgate and of course bumper destroyed, plus frame got tweaked and one dent at back corner of cab, but still drives straight, pretty low mileage (<140K) and 4.0L running strong. Actually got a great settlement from Geico, about $10K, but instead of getting a new truck gonna fix the ol' Ranger up and pocket the rest of the cash.

New bed is on, pretty much just stripping it down to prep for complete paint job next weekend, taking a chance with a guy that does body/paint work out of his house, he seems very professional so hoping for the best. He's gonna freshen up all the trim and the wheels also with new paint. I'm also going to replace all the emblems, re-upholster the seats, etc.etc.

Attachments

Gary DuBois

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 cubic inch
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31 inch
My 2003 4x4 got rear-ended a few weeks ago and insurance company declared it totaled. Truck bed, tailgate and of course bumper destroyed, plus frame got tweaked and one dent at back corner of cab, but still drives straight, pretty low mileage (<140K) and 4.0L running strong. Actually got a great settlement from Geico, about $10K, but instead of getting a new truck gonna fix the ol' Ranger up and pocket the rest of the cash.

New bed is on, pretty much just stripping it down to prep for complete paint job next weekend, taking a chance with a guy that does body/paint work out of his house, he seems very professional so hoping for the best. He's gonna freshen up all the trim and the wheels also with new paint. I'm also going to replace all the emblems, re-upholster the seats, etc.etc.
Im sad to hear that your 03 ranger got rear ended :( i had a similar incident happen to my back in high school around 2009-2010 i was in my first ranger my 94 4.0 v6 2wd that my dad bought for me in 2007 i think was the year for $4,000 from a used car deal up near bonney lake area. I was stopped one day after school at a traffic light and the person behind me there foot slipped off the brake and maybe accidently on the gas for a few seconds and they rear ended me and i had to pull off the road and they gave me their information the good thing is i got a new rear bumper out of that incident.

What was your incident exactly were you stopped at a traffic light too and how fast was the other vehicle going, Is the truck bed,tailgate and bumper able to be fixed at all and what happened to those parts, is it easy to untweak a frame and that dent you could remove with hot air from a hair dryer and a mallet if you wanted to. Thats great that your 03 ranger still drives straight and thats great that your 4.0l is running strong. That will be fun for you to fix your ranger up and have cash thats left to do what you want to do.

What year ranger did that bed come off of, how much will it cost to have your new bed painted and how long has he been in the business. A good auto parts online store is autopartsgeek.com you should check them out they sell new parts for a good low price. I once almost had a guy that worked out of his house put on paint and remove a dent on my 02 ranger fx4 off road but he wasn't ready at all like he said he was so i left and came home.

mikesierra46.2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Im sad to hear that your 03 ranger got rear ended :( i had a similar incident happen to my back in high school around 2009-2010 i was in my first ranger my 94 4.0 v6 2wd that my dad bought for me in 2007 i think was the year for $4,000 from a used car deal up near bonney lake area. I was stopped one day after school at a traffic light and the person behind me there foot slipped off the brake and maybe accidently on the gas for a few seconds and they rear ended me and i had to pull off the road and they gave me their information the good thing is i got a new rear bumper out of that incident.

What was your incident exactly were you stopped at a traffic light too and how fast was the other vehicle going, Is the truck bed,tailgate and bumper able to be fixed at all and what happened to those parts, is it easy to untweak a frame and that dent you could remove with hot air from a hair dryer and a mallet if you wanted to. Thats great that your 03 ranger still drives straight and thats great that your 4.0l is running strong. That will be fun for you to fix your ranger up and have cash thats left to do what you want to do.

What year ranger did that bed come off of, how much will it cost to have your new bed painted and how long has he been in the business. A good auto parts online store is autopartsgeek.com you should check them out they sell new parts for a good low price. I once almost had a guy that worked out of his house put on paint and remove a dent on my 02 ranger fx4 off road but he wasn't ready at all like he said he was so i left and came home.
Hey Gary, actually my Ranger has been rear-ended 3 times in the last 6 months or so. First two times the other drivers were just not paying attention and didn't see me stop in front of them (the first didn't want to report to insurance, and the second guy didn't have insurance). Those 2 times zero damage to my Ranger, but the other cars front ends were pretty messed up. This last time though was on the freeway, the lady behind me was distracted by another driver who was being an ass, and didn't see me slowing down in front of her.

Frame wasn't very bad but my brother-in-law had to straighten the very end where the bumper is attached, with a torch and hammer. The right frame rail is slightly higher now than the left, but I'm just going to put a couple of spacers between the left frame rail and the bed, that should level it out. The new bed I got was off of a 2004, paid $600, I like that it has the spray-on bed liner like my original bed did. $2500 to paint the whole truck, base coat + clear coat, plus paint all the faded trim and repaint the wheels also. There's also a dent he's going to fix on one side.

Kira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Bad to be hit. Glad you found parts.
Are you going for the original color.

mikesierra46.2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Bad to be hit. Glad you found parts.
Are you going for the original color.
Hi Kira, yes going to go with the original color. It would cost a lot more to change colors, at least to do it right including door jambs, under hood, engine compartment and all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals