• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brighter bulbs on my 3.0

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
According to NJ law most new cars are illegal. 2 headlights, 2 auxiliary/fog lights, and one spotlight is the max. Spotlight not allowed on public roads.

DRLs, seperate high and low, fog, and other nonsense... my moms edge is technically illegal.
I promise not to.report your mom.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
If you want brighter headlights I would look at moving the whole headlight system to relays off the battery. I put some Sylvania ZxE bulbs in my Ranger a few years ago because my old ones were starting to get dim and I was able to get a smoking deal on bulbs that were allegedly brighter without pulling more current.

Well that was a load of BS, since I have now burned out a dimmer switch about once a year since then. I moved my truck over to a floor switch for the high/low dimmer, so I was breaking the switch about once a year anyway, but the last few deaths have clearly been heat related rather than me just hitting it too hard and breaking it, which was what happened before I changed bulbs.
Yeah I've found the brighter bulbs to be a scam. At best they have a different color temperature, but at the cost of shorter life and higher price.
Geeze, down here you can and probably will get a ticket for having the light bar uncovered. If the cop is in a bad mood, or works for Northern York Regional you might get a ticket just for the light bar being there.
It's a free-for-all here - and why not as apparently NHTSA doesn't give a crap either anymore.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I promise not to.report your mom.
I would... she's too damn old too drive anyway. At least my dad has common decency to drive a 92 crown vic in the slow lane with his left turn signal on constantly so you know he's old. Pretty sure there's still a Ross Perot bumper sticker on it too.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah I've found the brighter bulbs to be a scam. At best they have a different color temperature, but at the cost of shorter life and higher price.
Yeah, Sylvania admits the life on their Silver Star and Silver Star Ultras are super short because they get a lot hotter and draw more power. The CLAIM that the zXe bulbs make more light with less heat and power draw due to using xenon gas instead of whatever they use in the other halogen bulbs.

I have found the zXes to be very white, but particularly the high beams seem to melt my dimmer switches. When warm weather comes around again I'm going to put my headlights on relays since I have an 87 Ranger with the engine harness from a highly optioned 94 Explorer, so I have a bunch of empty relay slots in my junction box.

It's a free-for-all here - and why not as apparently NHTSA doesn't give a crap either anymore.
I agree, but I am stuck right in between Northern York Regional, Lower Allen, and the Carlisle PSP barracks. I challenge anyone to find three bigger sets of dick-head cops sandwiched together in a continuous run like that anywhere else in the state.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just a thought why not just get led bulbs they are brighter and draw less current. The only downside for you snow people is that they do not produce enough heat to defrost the headlights.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I have found the zXes to be very white, but particularly the high beams seem to melt my dimmer switches. When warm weather comes around again I'm going to put my headlights on relays since I have an 87 Ranger with the engine harness from a highly optioned 94 Explorer, so I have a bunch of empty relay slots in my junction box.
Getting rid of those voltage drops from old switch and connector contacts and minimum gauge wires can make a real difference in brightness

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I agree, but I am stuck right in between Northern York Regional, Lower Allen, and the Carlisle PSP barracks. I challenge anyone to find three bigger sets of dick-head cops sandwiched together in a continuous run like that anywhere else in the state.
Sorry for you.

09E5B666-B41D-41B1-9C40-45133023DE80.gif

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Just a thought why not just get led bulbs they are brighter and draw less current. The only downside for you snow people is that they do not produce enough heat to defrost the headlights.
I did have a set. Only one worked and I never figured out why. Both bulbs work when hooked to a battery, but when plugged into the truck the passenger side would not light up, and it didn't make a difference which unit was on that side. But halogen bulbs don't do that, and I didn't have the time to really look into it, it was much easier to just throw the working pair back in.

Now I don't have time or motivation to look into it.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I got those Phillip's extremes that claim 50% brighter or something like that. No different than the cheapest sylvania bulbs. I out LEDs in my fog housings but the fog housings and they are amazing brighter BUT fog housings are not focused like headlight housings so it doesnt matter. I tried a set of LED bulbs I got free in my headlights and yes they were brighter but such a dumb beam pattern that pointed no where that they were worthless.

Between normal headlights, and led fogs pointed incorrectly (they should be low but I point them higher) and my 100 watt cop spot light I've never felt under lighted even on the darkest night in the woods. And my night vision sucks...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Standard headlights fade over time as the filament burns off and clouds the bulb. Also, your head light lenses are probably clouding over. Just changing your bulbs for standard new ones will make a difference and making sure your lenses are clear. If you have to use one of those lens cleaning kits, make sure you re-clear coat the lenses to prevent them from oxidizing again. Usually, what causes the lens clouding is the OEM clear coat being worn and chipped off over time and the lens oxidizes. As far as those snake oil head light bulbs the aftermarket manufacturers push, they cause more problems than they help fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals