• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BREATHER TUBES 1998 Ranger

Colton Smith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6, 6.6l v8
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys It didnt occur to me til just now about breather tubes/ hoses on my truck and their locations and vulnerability to dirt and water until I saw a video on the HumV about their breathers being sealed. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction of how to extend my breather tubes (trans etc.) into a good location to avoid getting dirt and water into them and if you could tell me whether it is even necessary for me to do so. Also I was wondering what the MAIN tubes I need to worry about when going through water and mud etc. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
GOD bless.
-Colt

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well which trans do you have? You ask a big question and give us no information.

The best way to extend and shield the breathers is to get braided hose of the correct diameter and what ever length you desire. Put them on in place of the existing tube, and then put a push pin in the end of it. The pin will keep water and debris out but let air out for expansion and get pushed out if the fluid ever gets hot enough to expand out the vent tube.

90jurassic2

U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What kind of pin would you stick in there?

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
What I have done in the past is to route the lines into a junction with the opening ending under the hood at about motor level. Then put a cheap universal fuel filter in the end of it. It can be mounted on the firewall out of the way adn being at engine intake height it is higher then you should be higher then any water you should have the vehicle in to begin with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals