• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Break hose replacement help

RedBear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L 4x2
Transmission
Manual
I’m sorry, I know this has had to be covered before but in my searches of the forum so many articles came up every different way I searched, that I couldn’t find one. In the past I’ve done a lot of maintenance work and minor upgrades on my cars and trucks but I’ve never had to do this.

I’m building my first truck. I’ve installed all new steering complement from the pitman arm to putter tie rods and a 4” suspension lift. Now I need to install longer break hoses.

I read this post: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ReplacementBrakeLine_Front.shtml

And I purchased the Raybestos 78-38622 and 78-38623 lines. This article led me to believe that these were a direct replacement with no mods needed.

Now I’m ready to install them and I can’t find any how to’s that cover the process for the ends closer to the frame. On the drivers side the factory tube looks to be a crimped into a hard line that goes into a cube looking fitting mounted to the frame. This cube block (pic attached) of metal has two hard pipes coming off it headed back and up toward the master cylinder. They are threaded into the block. The hose coming down towards the wheel looks pressure fit into it. I can’t find out how the clip fitting on the new line would ever connect to this.

The passenger side is less complicated but I don’t understand how the end of the new hose connects to that (closer to the engine) end either

The end at the caliper looks correct in both sides

I’m lucky as this truck has never left Southern California and has no rust so the hard lines look great.

I want to do this right and I appreciate the help.

Attachments

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
So those connections will thread out with the appropriate wrenches.

What are the details of your truck? Year, trim?

RedBear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L 4x2
Transmission
Manual
Sorry. It’s a 1997 XLT 2x4 extended cab with a regular bed.

the new line on the drivers side hose doesn’t come with the metal cube and the original line looks to be permanently part of the hose section.

Last edited:

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
It sure looks like the “metal cube” is threaded into the steel hard line and could be removed.

That set up is a little different than the earlier model rangers I have fooled around with.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Your second picture looks a lot more like what I have seen before. Those clips can be removed after the line is loosened.

RedBear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L 4x2
Transmission
Manual
After looking at it a lot more the passenger side is starting to look doable. The driver side is still ???? Here are some more pictures first 2 are different angles of the drivers side, second 2 are angles of the passenger side, 5th is the new driver side and last is the new passenger side hose.

Attachments

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Oh I see now. The cube is a three way connection. Yea, I haven’t dealt with one of those on a ranger, doesn’t look like your new parts will work out.

RedBear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L 4x2
Transmission
Manual
Agreed. At least I can return the hose(s). Looks like I’m back to problem solving as I’m trying to avoid the $100 super off-road lines as my truck is not going to be a crazy off road rig.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Yea, that three way connection is different to me, I would imagine you could find some kind of replacement for it, or even have one custom made, but it’s going to cost a few bucks.

I’m sure there are some folks on here who have dealt with it before. Hopefully they will chime in.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
When I did my '90 I got a street tee fitting for brakes, I think it had a male 1/8" pipe thread but I just took a 3/8-24 die down that end if memory serves. That and I had to put new nuts on the factory hard line, the stock ones were metric.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just FYI one of those hoses should fit and the other will not. The driver's side has that "cube" because one hard line comes from the master cylinder and feeds the driver's side caliper, and the other hard line goes to the passenger side and feeds the caliper there. You just need the correct driver's side hose.

You can compare the lower end of the hose to see which one will fit your passenger side. The lower metal part is different and will stick out at the wrong angle if you put it on the wrong side.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals