• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brakes locking bad when wet....

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
as it says we have been getting a lot of rain and some of the roads i drive have some pretty deep puddles. my rotors pads and wheel bearings only have about 40 miles on them. i only drive about 8 miles a day and when its wet like this they lock up alot. it there something i can do to help with this? the caliper sliders and pad slides have been lubed with graphite anti-sieze compound, now i have some old guy telling me "that stuff turns to silver tar when it gets wet". anyone else ever experience this. it there something else i can lube it with? green marine grease maybe? any input would be greatly appreciated.:icon_cheers:

Last edited:

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
hmm i dont know, i never grease my brakes besides on the back of the pads. i just clean em with spray can brake cleaner and they work..

i think you have overly good brakes..

is the ABS light on? try the rear abs sensor

michowski

Reaction score
So you mean they lock up and dont release or they just lock up and skid? If they just lock up and skid but release once your foot comes off the pedal then I think you just need a softer foot on the brakes. I can lock up my tires on command everytime in wet rain/wet but it takes the right pedal pressure to stop fast without locking em up. Your probly just not used to a new setup thats sticky and grippy lol.

TRX501RYAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i used a sythetic brake lube on all my brake pins and points where they needed grease, this stuff is a white grease designed for brake applications

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
mine does the same thing, it doesnt matter if i hit the brakes moderately or if i slam them, my rear brakes lock up ocasionally in dry weather with just a tap of the brake, but they arent over adjusted, i just try to give myself extra following distance in the rain because it gets scary lol

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Rear ranger drum brakes are notorious for locking up in humid climate. This is why, the shoes "soak up" the moisture in the atmosphere, causing the shoes to swell, the first couple of times you use your brakes, the rear locks up. Once the brakes have warmed up and dried out, they work normally. Before you take off, give the brake pedal a couple of full pressure pumps, forcing the moisture out of the shoes, this should resolve the problem
SVT

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
mine does the same thing, it doesnt matter if i hit the brakes moderately or if i slam them, my rear brakes lock up ocasionally in dry weather with just a tap of the brake, but they arent over adjusted, i just try to give myself extra following distance in the rain because it gets scary lol
yes this is exactly what is hapening, mine dont unlock everytime either and i have to throw it in reverse and they give a decent pop when they let loose, really scares people at stop lights. my dad mentioned that its possible for the wheel cylinder, namely the little pistons that pop out you rust and or wear out and then they bind sometimes and get stuck so i think im gonna try wheel cylinders, any other input is appreciated.

michowski

Reaction score
Sounds like your parking brake is sticking and/or your cylinders need replacing. When my parking brake used to stick it would pop once they unlocked going forward then were fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals