• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brakes are super soft!

theGreatDane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1971
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6, 302 V8
Transmission
Manual
i Just got done swapping a 1999 explorer axle with discs into my 1999 ranger that had the ranger 8.8 with drums. I got all the brake lines hooked up, and made sure there are no leaks, but now when i step on the brakes, the pedal goes nearly to the floor with very little response from the brakes, and then i finally get good stopping power. once they grab, the stopping power is awesome.

I just want to know if there is a way to make the pedal feel more progressive, like it used to, as it is a little unnerving to step on the pedal and have it go to the floor before it stops. i already adjusted the post (i dont know what it is called) that pushes on the master cylinder, and i bled them until there were no more bubbles.

What do you guys think i should do? It seems like there is air in the lines, but i bleed them and i get a good hard stream. Do i need to go to the explorer master? :icon_confused:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Explorer master cylinder with 4 wheel disk swap to take care of PART of your issue. When you take off the master cylinder there is a small rod that you adjust out to take out the rest of the pedal softness.

BE CAREFUL THOUGH!! If you turn it out to far it will lock up the brakes or have to much throw causing you to lock up the wheels. 1/4 to an 1/8 of a turn at a time till you get it where you want it. Take your time and do it right.

I wish the admin would add this step to the tech library article. Please Jim.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

theGreatDane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1971
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6, 302 V8
Transmission
Manual
i did adjust that little pin as far as i could without making the brakes drag. it still is very soft until the pedal is 3/4 the way through its travel.

Does the proportioning valve have anything to do with it? If so, where would i be able to get the right one?

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you change your Master cylinder out? The one from your Ranger isn't calibrated to work 4 wheel disc brakes... My guess would be your new discs require more fluid flow than the old drums.

theGreatDane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1971
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6, 302 V8
Transmission
Manual
i still have the original master cylinder in, because from what i was reading it didnt sound like i needed a new one. should i go pull one from an explorer and try that ?

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drum brakes require less fluid than disk brakes. The master cylinder has a built in proportioning valve on all or most RBV. Change the master cylinder to a 4 wheel disk one and all your problems will be solved.

Since you adjusted the pin put it back down the readjust for the new master cylinder.

Also I advise you get a new one. Junkyards like to cut lines to drain fluids so if it sat long enough dirt and grime can accumulate in the cylinder causing issues when you try to use it. They aren't very expensive.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
make sure the calipers are on the right sides. they might look identical but if you switch them around youll get a air pocket that wont bleed out, bc the bleeders are in key locations and they are a one side only system. i ran into this issue when i rebuilt my whole front end, super soft and no feel tell the very end. i had a shop do it bc i couldnt figure it out, and thats what they came up with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals