• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake / Rear end change over

Rat Rod Bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I read the information about changing out my 93 rear end with an Explorer and so then getting rear disk brakes. One thing I have not seen is if you need to do anything with the master cylinder and or proportioning valve. I have also installed the front calipers from the Explorer. Thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ideally, yes - you replace the proportioning valve with the one from the Expo. The fact that I didn't, might be the reason I had so many issues with Mustang rear calipers on my Ranger.
The proportioning valve has a check valve in it to maintain some residual pressure to ensure brakes "ready" as soon as you push on the pedal.​
For drum brakes, the check valve should hold about 10 psi - enough to counter act the return springs.​
But disks don't have return springs, so they need a lot less pressure - only about 2 psi for disc brakes check valve.​
My thoughts based on some 20/20 hindsight.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I never changed anything on mine, has worked just fine, I agree with the above statement of "ideally" you should change the parts, I think the Explorer master has a bigger piston to deal with the bigger volume of calipers than wheel cylinders. I haven't towed or anything with mine really since I upgraded but it's much smoother operation and seems to be better braking.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Rat Rod Bob:

The original system was balanced for the size and weight of the vehicle so it may need attention in a different system.

After I swapped axles, I was concerned so I cautiously performed some braking and driving tests. My truck's overall braking "feel" improved (it was a 7.5"-3:43 for a 7.5"-4:10LS but with 10" drums vs 9"). So I left it alone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals