• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brake questions

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 93 3.0 ranger. my pads were replaced due to thinning of the pads.
brakes were firm going in with no pulling to either side what so ever. calipers looked good and pistons went back in with ease.

but afterwards the pedal is not so firm. no brake light is on. though you do get it lighting on start up no leaks and system was bled.

any way the question is should you be able to see the caliper move when the brakes are pressed? my assumption is you shouldnt, but i can see it move about a 1/2 inch to a 1/4 of an inch.

michowski

Reaction score
How did you bleed the brakes? To me sounds like there not bled correctly if your pedal went from firm to light with just a bleed job and pad change. Get another person, one open the bleeder screw, then other person push the pedal down. Hold the pedal to the floor and the first person tighten the bleeder screw. Do that on each side until theres no air in the lines and theres a nice steady stream of fluid comming out.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i couldnt break nipples loose so i took to a shop and had them bleed them for 35$ instead of me breaking nipples it went from firm to light before they were bled. cause i assumed if the pistons still moved the calipers were still good. then had them bled hoping that that would firm them up.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Uhhh... If you were only replacing the pads WHY was there any need to "bleed" the brakes?

You only bleed the brakes when HYDRAULIC system parts are replaced.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals