• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake pedal goes to floor with engine running

85b2denver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First off I have a 1985 Bronco II 2.8l 5 speed with a 4 inch sus lift and 31 inch tires.
So I have been trying to diagnose this problem since i got a new mc/power booster combo wondering if the ones I got are faulty or not. Now, I have bled the system multiple times and im pretty sure there are no leaks, I have also replaced the rear wheel cylinders.
Now if I get in the car with it off, I can pump the brakes and they'll hold pressure. But as soon as I turn on the car, and it's not moving, the pedal drops to the floor immediately with no pressure. Now if i pump the brakes ridiculously fast, I can feel a tiny, but barely, amount of low end pressure build up that disappears as soon as I stop pumping, once again while the car is running but standing still. Me and my dad dont see any leaks, the brake fluid level hasn't dropped at all, and the check valve is working.
Another thing I notice in traffic, is if i have the pedal to the floor and I let up a little bit, the engine revs increase a very small amount. Sign of a bad diaphragm? Or is it normal due to less resistance to the vacuum pressure?
And one last bit of info, when the engine was running, we disconnected the line running to the power booster, the brake pedal was very firm, hopefully showing that the lines dont have air in them.

Edit: I forgot to mention that before I replaced the booster/mc combo due to hissing noises, the brakes felt to be adjusted and grabbing fine, so I don't think that should be an issue

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Last edited:

Ewgoetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Air still in the hydraulic brake system.
Did you bench bleed the mc before you installed it?

85b2denver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have bench bled it, i changed out the old rear brake lines then i test drove it, the bottom end has improved, i did at least ten pumps per wheel cylinder all clear, no bubbles. Another thing i noticed is when i slam on the brake pedal fast, i feel resistance, when i slowly hit it, theres no resistance.

Ewgoetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I still think there is air in the system, if there are no leaks. Than it’s possible you may have gotten a defective mc.
Where did you get the mc from? Hope not autozone.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
75 87 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W , 2.9L , 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the same problems i had with my 87 BII . It turned out to be the NEW brake booster.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals