• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake Line Fitting Seized Onto Rear Backing Plate

STPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My credo
N/A
I'm in the process of running all new brake lines and I can't get the brake line fitting out of the backing plate. Everything's pretty rusty and I can't get it to un screw. Is it possible/worth it to replace the backing plates? How would I go about replacing those? I tried to get it off with a pair of vicegrips and its pretty mashed up now, I'm hoping someone has a few tips to help me.

clunkerclub

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
mine was like that to smashed the crap out of it with vice grips aswell I cut the brake like stuck a easy out in it and vice grips at the same time with a buddys help and finally got mine to back out, something to try if you don't make it any further

STPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My credo
N/A
Doing a little research this morning, I might have just solved my own problem. If I replace the wheel cylinder, that also will take that fitting with it correct? Im thinking i could grind or cut off the fitting take out the wheel cylinder then the rest of the fitting would come with it? Can someone verify that replacing the wheel cylinder will work?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There is no brake line fitting in the brake backing plate. There is a wheel cylinder that bolts in there.

You are correct that replacing the wheel cylinder is going to solve the issue you are having, but I am concerned by the idea of someone who needs to ask that question doing brake lines without direct supervision from someone who didn't need to ask that question.

STPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My credo
N/A
There is no brake line fitting in the brake backing plate. There is a wheel cylinder that bolts in there.

You are correct that replacing the wheel cylinder is going to solve the issue you are having, but I am concerned by the idea of someone who needs to ask that question doing brake lines without direct supervision from someone who didn't need to ask that question.
Thanks for the tip! That makes things easier, I'll order all new internals for the drum brakes to make sure everything is in good working order.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
94, he has RABs too doesn't he? Guy at the shop I used to "trust" used a torch on the fittings LOL but they were replacing the cylinders anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals