• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake light and turn signal problems

PapaMurph3218

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
I am having issues with my 89 bronco 2 rear turns signals and brake lights. My driver said brake light works but my passenger side doesn’t. I’m thinking maybe bad wiring idk honestly. With my turns signals they come on but they don’t blink and I can’t find anything to help me. If anyone has any tips that will be helpful thanks

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Make sure that both passenger side bulbs (front and rear) are good first, if you haven't yet. Do the parking and reverse lights work on the pass side?

PapaMurph3218

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Make sure that both passenger side bulbs (front and rear) are good first, if you haven't yet. Do the parking and reverse lights work on the pass side?
Bulbs are brand new and they work cause I switch them with the drivers side so it’s not the bulbs and parking and reverse work on the drivers side but not passenger

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Bulbs are brand new and they work cause I switch them with the drivers side so it’s not the bulbs and parking and reverse work on the drivers side but not passenger
Okay; right turn signal on, or hazards on, does the passenger front turn bulb come on at all?

PapaMurph3218

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Okay; right turn signal on, or hazards on, does the passenger front turn bulb come on at all?
yep front passenger comes on but it doesn’t blink. It only blinks with the hazard lights on

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
parking and reverse work on the drivers side but not passenger
If all three of those circuits don't work (stop/turn, park & reverse), that means it's not likely the combination switch on the steering column, but rather it's more likely a harness problem. Chances are the fault is in the back, underneath and behind the bumper.

First thing I'd check, is locate the this harness in the rear, running from beneath the driver tail light, and follow it's run over to the passenger tail light. Look for any evidence of a trailer harness, or signs that a trailer harness was added in the past. Temporarily remove the protecting tubing off of the wires to look for any breaks in the wires' insulation, and look for blue or pink "ScotchLok" type splices. These are guaranteed to rot, and even if removed they leave a "bite" in the insulation, and the conductors corrode and break.

Beneath the driver tail light is a 4-pin connector (C213) that has the wires going over to the passenger tail light. Check that that connector is plugged tight, and that there's no corrosion or "green rust" on the terminals or wire conductors.

The ground for the tail light functions is actually up front, on the driver fender well. Doubt is just a bad ground, as the driver side functions OK.

In a lot these cases, a past hack job trailer plug is the culprit, or C213 became unplugged.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
yep front passenger comes on but it doesn’t blink. It only blinks with the hazard lights on
Take a real good look at that rear harness.

Good luck!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Let us know if you find it so we can try fixing ours too :)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve seen bad grounds before cause issues, I’m a firm believer in cleaning grounds and coating them in dielectric grease or No-Alox (found in electrical and hardware stores, electricians use it for preventing corrosion on aluminum wire).

A cheap multi-meter or even better a cheap electrical tester (I have a knock off of the Power Probe that was like $20-30 on Amazon) can help a lot with troubleshooting.

Also it sounds like the blinker module may be hors-de-combat. It will be a round canister in the fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side. I can’t remember offhand, there might be one too and bottom, if there is, one is turn signal and one is 4-ways.

PapaMurph3218

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Let us know if you find it so we can try fixing ours too :)
I found the issue. I clean some connections and my lights starting working but my turn signals weren’t blinking still. I finally put my fuse for the flasher it’s a big round fuse under the dash was bad replaced it and they worked.

PapaMurph3218

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
I’ve seen bad grounds before cause issues, I’m a firm believer in cleaning grounds and coating them in dielectric grease or No-Alox (found in electrical and hardware stores, electricians use it for preventing corrosion on aluminum wire).

A cheap multi-meter or even better a cheap electrical tester (I have a knock off of the Power Probe that was like $20-30 on Amazon) can help a lot with troubleshooting.

Also it sounds like the blinker module may be hors-de-combat. It will be a round canister in the fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side. I can’t remember offhand, there might be one too and bottom, if there is, one is turn signal and one is 4-ways.
Thank you for the tips. I cleaned my connections and replaced the module and it fixed the problems

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How long you been in Ft Campbell PapaMurph ?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well thank you sir for being there

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Good you solved your iseues. Just to add, in my case that was similar symptoms, it turned out to be a poor connection in the steering column. Just had to plug a wire/plug back in that had come semi-loose.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals