• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake drum will not go back on?

Chrisis37

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I noticed a kind of grinding noise coming from my rear wheels and I took the drums off and all the springs and everything were rusted to heck and back, so I got new springs and cylinders and drums and all that good stuff.. I replaced everything and am pretty darn certain I put all the springs in the right place but the drums won't go back on.. The shoes don't seem to go in all the way because this bar that's called the parking strut bar (or something similar) that goes in between the shoes keeps them from going 100% together, and I think that's why the drum wont go back on but I don't just want to take the bar out because it was there when I took the drums off. Do I need the bar or is it more likely that something else I did is wrong? I'm sure the new drums and shoes are the correct size as I compared them to the original ones and they seemed to match up. The drums and brakes are the 9" size ones, thanks for your help.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure it's all seated in there properly and the adjuster is turned all the way down. If that's all good then post a pic and maybe we can spot the problem.

Sent from my iPhone.

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^^^^ what he said......did you have the drums turned(machined)? sometimes if there is a large lip of rust on the edge of the braking surface of the drum and that can make the drum hard to put on

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals