• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanted Brake backing plate, left (driver's) side for FX4, 31 spline axle.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Part is obsolete from Ford, not serviced by any vendor I've found. Original on '02 thru '09 FX4 Rangers. Does not have to be a Level II.

kd7wrc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is this the part you're looking for? Rockauto.com seems to have it for $67. I have a 5% discount code you can use as well.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Is this the part you're looking for? Rockauto.com seems to have it for $67. I have a 5% discount code you can use as well.

View attachment 57941
I'll double check the RockAuto website, I may have missed something. The above photos seem to show backing plates for 28 spline axles. Note how the two lower mounting bolt holes are closer together than the top two. Those for 31 splines are the same distance apart as the top. On 31 spline backing plates the four holes form a rectangle, not an inverted trapezoid. I posted a photo of a 31 spline backing plate a couple months ago in the 'Brakes' discussion thread.
FYI: The bolt spacing difference is the fastest way I know to determine whether a Ranger has 28 or 31 spline diff.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
I'll double check the RockAuto website, I may have missed something. The above photos seem to show backing plates for 28 spline axles. Note how the two lower mounting bolt holes are closer together than the top two. Those for 31 splines are the same distance apart as the top. On 31 spline backing plates the four holes form a rectangle, not an inverted trapezoid. I posted a photo of a 31 spline backing plate a couple months ago in the 'Brakes' discussion thread.
FYI: The bolt spacing difference is the fastest way I know to determine whether a Ranger has 28 or 31 spline diff.

Revisited the RockAuto website. Pictured backing plates are Dorman #924656 for 9" brakes.

Thanks kd7wrc for looking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals