• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Box sides

jon440x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i have a 1994 Mazda B3000 4x4, it had those fender flairs on the box sides. The water collected behind them and rotted out the box side.

It’s been in need of repair for a long time but NOW i have to fix it.
Bought some sheet metal and got out the old grinder.

I made a template of the arc of the opening with a sheet of packing paper

When I put the cut out on the tin I made it 1 ½ inches more than the arc., I was going to fold the extra under and make a lip. I made v cuts out of the tin and used a hammer to fold them at a 90 now there is a bulge in the tin and some small cracks where I cut the v’s out.

After looking at it I am thinking that where I made the v cuts I made a week spot and the vibrations of the truck will make the cracks run …..

My question is am I safe with no support ( no tin folded under)

How have other people repaired fenders ?

I want a good rust paint ( I live in Newfoundland, Canada ) if its not raining its snowing. Rust is a killer any suggestions ?

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You would be time and money ahead to get a new box, although considering your location, that might be easier said than done. I did something similar with my box (about 4 years ago) and it seemed to work out well. Rather than cutting "V"'s into the excess, I cut lines, and after I bent them over, I welded a 1/2 inch wide strip along the tabs. It turned out quite well, and had a factory look to it. I would definitely use some good primer, at minimum use self etching, and seal it up nice with paint. I never got around to finishing mine out (I covered it anyway with bushwacker fender flares), but if I had spent a little more time with the welding and a little body filler, it would have looked like a brand new box, I was definitely able to stop the rust (pay no mind to the surface rust).

hick

jon440x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply .........

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have any support on mine and they have given me no problems. It actually helps when I have to "rub" a tree or rock. No lip or support allows the fender to flex and return to it's origional shape insted of retaining a dent.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have any support on mine and they have given me no problems. It actually helps when I have to "rub" a tree or rock. No lip or support allows the fender to flex and return to it's origional shape insted of retaining a dent.
Yeah, unfortunately the rest of the box doesn't quite "pop" back like that...

hick

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals