• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bout to throw up trying to find timing marks and understand this procedure... help please

Kegworth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I've googled until my eyes fell into the back of my head and watched so many absolutely worthless youtube videos my stomach turned with nausea so here I am posting in dire need of an educated push in the right direction.

I'm trying to rule out timing as one of my power delivery issues, so i got a timing gun, just a standard light only, no dial or LCD readout (already regretting this i think). Truck is 1988 2.9L.

I found the little pointer on the balancer, but what on earth, where are these marks supposed to be and do they only show up while the vehicle is running? And once i'm using this magical light, are there supposed to be a mark that lands directly at the pointers tip indicating 10º if timed correctly?

I understand the removal of the spout connector and adjusting dizzy but just don't understand the whole marking thing.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The light needs to hooked to the battery and the number one spark plug. Yes it only works with the engine running, the light strobes when the spark plug fires and illuminates the mark as it crosses the pointer. When you use it with the vehicle running you will see how the marks work.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Trying to remember back, lol

I think the 2.9l had a pointer and an "eye" attached to the engine, you do NOT use the "eye"
The harmonic balancer has the timing marks, the "crank pulley" part that spins

So you may need to sand the balancer where the marks are to SEE them
There will be a long line for #1 TDC then smaller and longer lines for degrees BTDC
You can sand down the area then put some white paint on a rag and wipe it across the lines, that will high light them

Yes, the timing light needs 12v/ground and then other wire connects inline with #1 spark plug
Start engine, spout pulled
The timing light strobe will flash on when #1 fires
If its pointed at the timing marks you can see how its lined up with Pointer on engine

The crank spins too fast for your eyes to see it, which is why strobe light is needed

If my memory is faulty..............then
There is just a line on harmonic balancer no degrees
The Pointer on engine will be a plate with degrees on it
Same setup sand the plate and wipe it with something to high light the lines
Turn distributor with engine running to set line on balancer to 10-12deg BTDC, your choice, most prefer 12deg BTDC

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Incorrect timing can have a very significant effect on your engine performance. Last Saturday I made the mistake of not removing the spout connector when setting to 10 degrees and the difference in engine power was huge.
I always use some white-out to mark the 10 degree spot on the harmonic balancer so it's much easier to see with the timing light.

Kegworth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks everyone for input. Can the pulleys/balancer be rotated with ignition off? To try to find the marks. I feel like i tried but didn’t seem to want to budge

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You can manually turn the engine with a socket on the crank while it's not running, if that's what you mean.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
My crankshaft pulley bolt takes a 19 mm socket, on a short extension on the ratchet. You get at it from underneath, angle it in between the fan / shroud. Turn clockewise. Use a flashlight while you are turning the crankshaft and you will see the timing marks appear at some point. Put the white paint / white-out on the 10 degree mark. REMOVE THE SPARK PLUGS FIRST, will make it much easier to turn the engine over.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And look for timing marks from under side of vehicle, often easier to see them and clean them without fan belts and brackets in the way

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
And look for timing marks from under side of vehicle, often easier to see them and clean them without fan belts and brackets in the way
Thats what I did recently. Washed off the balancer from below and traced the timing marks with a silver Sharpie marker.

Kegworth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you to all who chimed in here. I was able to check the timing, super easy lol. Just one of those things i like to research before i do it, and it just seemed like this complicated AF thing that no one could give clear direction on. Geez. I should prob start a youtube channel...

Anyways, timing is sitting right at 10-12º (leaning to 12 i think) so no issues there. Started a new thread about surging i'm experiencing so feel free to join me there haha.

Many thanks to the bright minds here. (y)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals