• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bouncing timing...is scanner just innacurate?

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
So I hooked up my new obd II scanner I got that also reads live data. I noticed when I first fired it up the timing was at 26* plus or minus 1. As it warmed up it dropped down to 17* and would bounce anywhere from 12* to22*. If I would rev it the timing would bounce to 26* and showed 30* a couple of times.

Is this normal? or is my cam synchro sensor going bad? 99 ranger 3.0 btw. I asked in the 3.0 forum and no one knows anything about timing :sad:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the engine calibration changes the timing as the RPM and intake manifold pressure changes, it's normal to be as low as 12 and as high as 30 wherever the engine "wanted" it to be that way, they probably change it for start/warmup too...

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
on my 94 you have to set the "base" timing by removing a SPOUT connector (in the same section of the harness as the ignition control module) and then setting the timing to the degrees listed on the emissions sticker on the core support. once timing is set you plug the SPOUT connector back in and the computer then advances and retards the timing according to the data being recieved by the sensors. im not sure if the 99 still has a distributor or not though as i havent seen one yet. hope this helps

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
its got the camshaft synchro. I guess I just wanted to clarify that the timing is normal to change under different operating conditions.

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The change is normal. your scanner "samples" at a rate much slower than the computer changes timing in the car. Hell the ford IDS i use at work doesnt read in real time. A labscope or oscilliscope would be needed to see "live" steaming data in real time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals