• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bought new rotors...

buckshotz43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Is it a pretty easy fix putting new rotors on a 4wd 98? mine are pitting and rusting up horrible stopping needing to get them on anything else i should get for it as well i just put on new brake pads when i noticed they were rusting out. they have bearings that need repack or anything like that would be very helpful!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
A 98' should be unit bearing. No need to repack bearings.

Get the new rotors and have them machined true. Just because the rotor is new doesn't mean they are truly straight. As for the rusted rotors, once they start rusting on the friction surface......might as well get new ones.

Once the new rotors are machined wash them off with dawn dish soap and hot water, dry them off before they rust. An air gun works well for this.

Also a good, high quality, pad will help things work alot better, and make your brake job and hard work last alot longer. Wagner thermoquiets are a great pad.

TimV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nothing hard about putting on new rotors. I however, disagree with turning brand new rotors. I have had more problems with that than using them out of the package.

All I do is pull the rotor out of the box carefully, and wipe down the braking surface carefully with a clean rag. Make sure you do not contact the surface with your hands, as they can leave oils that will affect braking. I never use any sort of cleaners or anything on the surface. Once you get everything back together, just take it easy on them for the next hundred miles or so, and they will break in nicely. Every brake job I have done like this has turned out perfect.

Nothing you can do with the wheel bearings, but it couldn't hurt to hit every grease zerk you can find while you have the wheels off.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I however, disagree with turning brand new rotors.
I agree. I just put new rotors on my Escape from a Carquest that turns rotors in house. I asked him if I should turn them and he said that is a thing of the past. He told me he would have suggested it 10 years ago, but newer processes in making rotors don't require them to be trued when they are new anymore. They work quit nicely too, no shimmy whatsoever.

buckshotz43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
awesome! a lot easier than i was told it would be i guess they just wanted easy money. Ill be doing it tonight thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals