• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bought a savage .270, advice?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So since i got my felony cleared up i went and bought a savage .270 today with a synthetic stock and a 22 inch barrel.

Last time i shot a gun i was 9 it was a .22

Ive been on plenty of hunting trips with my old man. So im not gun stupid. in fact if any thing im gun shy. but i find them intereting hence the reason i bought one. i just have no memorable first hand experience.

Any books or any thing like that i should read? any advice? just looking for input.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
best input I can give you is find someone that shoots properly to show you first hand how to do it.

I've shot my entire life... I was shooting .270's and 30-06 by the age of 9. My dad was military and sniper qualified... so being instructed for me was easy.

The .270 Savage is a SWEET gun IMO for the price. I love Savage, I love the .270 round even tho I don't have one.

Is it the AXIS or EDGE? 110? what model is it?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its 110. paid 352 for it. whats 110? My old man was qualified to be a marine corps sniper in 78. id just rather source what info i can from reading about long range shots.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Post this in the camping/hunting (or whatever) thread. .270's are a great hunting gun. I think everybody into guns should read Jack O'Conner's book "The complete book of rifles and shotguns." It is freaking awesome - it will tell you the complete development of firearms from flintlocks to modern weapons. He loved the .270.
Crap - you ninja'd me.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wasnt aware we had that section oops.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No worries mate. You'll just mostly read about me bitching about not finding any ammo. Ryan will probably move it anyway.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Her come the Judge....here come the judge----orderin the Court....cause here come the judge (Moderator!)........(Laugh-In, 1960-something)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ryan will probably move it anyway.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about reposting it.

Mr. O'Conner is probably the reason the .270 didn't fade away to nothingness, he was a huge advocate of it. I had heard that, didn't know he had a book. Gonna have to find it now. :icon_thumby:

OP: Did you get the scoped combo or do you still have some more shopping to do?

Last edited:

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Scoped Combo? Sh!t, I'm trying to find anything I can. Got some more .243's for one of my deer rifles. 30-30 non existant. 9mm's hah I got a couple of hundred rounds from a re-loader who's begging for more brass. I've got half a box of .22's that my boys will shoot through in no time and none on the gun safe. Anyway - get the Jack O'Conner book.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Scoped Combo? Sh!t, I'm trying to find anything I can. Got some more .243's for one of my deer rifles. 30-30 non existant. 9mm's hah I got a couple of hundred rounds from a re-loader who's begging for more brass. I've got half a box of .22's that my boys will shoot through in no time and none on the gun safe. Anyway - get the Jack O'Conner book.
That was to the OP. :icon_thumby:

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah - but the book is bad ass. Get it and it will school you a lot.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Find someone that is a good shooter to properly teach you how to shoot, how to breath, relax, proper sight picture, etc. having a cool gun doesn't do you any good if you can't shoot it and hit anything. There really aren't any books to read on this, its something you have to be shown how to do, and practice. The best thing to do is get some ammo and have someone goto the range with you and show you what you need to know that you have either forgot or don't know or have questions about.

I have a Winchester Model 70, .270 given to me by my grandfather who took it on many deer hunting trips along with my uncle. Its brought home dozens of deer. Now it just sits in my gun cabinet because I refuse to go hunting the way the idiots around here blaze away at anything that moves it's not exactly fun going deer hunting to be shot at by some careless person who "thinks" they see a deer and starts shooting without actually having a visual sight on what they're shooting.

Depending on how old you are if you plan on going hunting you may have to go through a hunter's education class.

If you goto the range once and your target results aren't spectacular don't give up. The more you practice and become more comfortable the better you will become. Don't expect perfection on the first several trips.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Man if you lived closer I have about 1/2 a 50 cal can full of .30-30, and quite a bit of 22LR that I'd give to you Texas is too far of a drive though LOL.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Now it just sits in my gun cabinet because I refuse to go hunting the way the idiots around here blaze away at anything that moves it's not exactly fun going deer hunting to be shot at by some careless person who "thinks" they see a deer and starts shooting without actually having a visual sight on what they're shooting.
Ever been party slug gun hunting? Now that is exciting, I quit after the tree I was hiding behind was shaking as someone in my party was pumping slugs into the other side of it and bumble-bees that missed the tree were wizzing by overhead. Then people shoot crap deer and make you use your tag on it.

I now hunt by myself. :annoyed:

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just WOW. Sounds more deadly than exciting. I'd never go deer hunting with other people. It's scary enough quail hunting with people I know and trust. I've drawn a bead on my father in law several times over the years. Usually just two or three with shotguns will go after a dog on point. When the quail get up, you have no idea where they are going to fly so when you're tracking a bird you always have to look at what's between and beyond where the bird is. I know of several dogs killed where they break and start running after low-flying birds. Some inexperienced idiot will just blast a hole in the dog.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals