• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bought 86 ranger with a 2.9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yesterday i bought a 86 ranger that needs a new motor(2.9).... my question is, is there a better engine, that is more powerful.... but at the same time still fuel efficient? also is the 2.9 a good towing engine? what is the grand toltal of a engine/tranny swap?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
engine) 4.0L would be the most strait forward

fuel economy) No free lunch

towing) depends on what you're towing and what gears, I wouldn't want to tow much with an A4LD automatic, as least not with out an upgraded cooler.

cost) a vehicle is as only as cheap as the person doing the work. Hard to estimate that since there's no definite costs involved. It's as cheap as you can do it for. I guess it can vary from $10 (yes, there are people that claim this sort of total price on swaps) to a few thousand. Just depends on circumstances. I would expect a few thousand just in labor to have a shop do it, so either way....

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
engine) 4.0L would be the most strait forward

fuel economy) No free lunch

towing) depends on what you're towing and what gears, I wouldn't want to tow much with an A4LD automatic, as least not with out an upgraded cooler.

cost) a vehicle is as only as cheap as the person doing the work. Hard to estimate that since there's no definite costs involved. It's as cheap as you can do it for. I guess it can vary from $10 (yes, there are people that claim this sort of total price on swaps) to a few thousand. Just depends on circumstances. I would expect a few thousand just in labor to have a shop do it, so either way....

thank you for the reply..... what do you mean "no free lunch"?
according to the tech section the PO. replaced the tranny with a 4R44E or 4R55E id'd by the pit in the pan......

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What I meant by no free lunch is that more power is always going to come at a price of more fuel consumption. But on the other hand, a 5.0L in a Ranger gets fairly similar fuel mileage as a 4.0L would; just because the engine doesn't have to work as hard to obtain the same result. Anything beyond that and economy will suffer. Just a lot of factors, 4.0L mileage won't be terrible, but really not that great either.

The trans you listed is a computer controlled trans, are you sure that is the trans in your vehicle? It would need something to control it for it to work correctly. '95, they went full electronic and it wouldn't work with your current engine management system.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i based it on the pit in the pan.... (i will upload a pic of it when i find the micro chip for my phone) do you think its possible that when the PO. took it to amco that they put a new oil pan on?

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The rangers and bronco IIs come with various gear sizing ranging from 3.45 to 4.11. If your ranger has 4.11s and smallish tires, a 2.9 in decent shape will probably do alright for towing (of course a lot depends on what you're towing and what kind of terrain it will be over). With almost anything that tows, an automatic transmission's life will be shortened quite a bit.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok so my engine is idling a little funny and since iv been back the transmission has begone to skip a little more from the usual, my question is what engine is better than 2.9, but not a 4.0

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4.0 or V8. 4.0 is about as easy as it gets though. And well worth it

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the reason im trying to avoid the 4.0l is because, me being a worry wort, am worried that when i do the swap and drive it around i will shred the rear diff(or for that matter the front diff) or transfer case. eventually i will go to the 8.8 and d35 but im not made of money.....
what would be a good price on a 4.0 donor vehicle?

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i see 4.0 rangers wrecked but still driving for about $500 with a manual trans pretty often.....if only i could find one with a 35 and 4.10s, i would have my donor

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
$

I picked up my donor wrecked 91 4.0 2wd auto for $300.00 put everything from under the hood in,lucked out and had a m code "M50" tranny in the 89 2wd manual sold the auto tranny for $125.00 wheels for $50.00 and junked the body for $70.00 used the money to buy flywheel,clutch,pilot and throw out bearing.Its my sons lorider it runs great and gets very good mpg.Hopefully you'll do this swap you will be very happy with the results! :icon_thumby:

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i see 4.0 rangers wrecked but still driving for about $500 with a manual trans pretty often.....if only i could find one with a 35 and 4.10s, i would have my donor
Good luck. They didn't start putting 4.10s in them until the IFS front end, which is not compatible with the TTB.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they didn't put 4.10s in the ttb 35s? because my 28 has them stock, and so does my 8.8 but its out of an ifs truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals