• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Both o2 heater circuits fail simultaneously (P0135 & P0141) . What do I test for next?

Michael7S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It's like my Ranger knows I'm getting close to the smog check station!

My 1997 Ford Ranger 2.3L 4x2 throws P0135 & P0141 simultaneously while driving to clear the monitors for test. Usually fine for 3-12 miles (slightly rough idle), then boom.. both codes.

So I installed two new O2 sensors, confirm 4.n ohms for each heater, and confirmed 12v through fuse 20 (light blue/orange wire), confirmed PCM switched ground at both sensors. Wires appear unscathed.

I clear the codes, drive 3-12 to clear readiness monitors.. and within a mile of the Smog Check station.. it then throws P0135 & P0141 simultaneously.

What would you check next?

Thanks,

-Michael

P.S. If it matters, this is a manual five speed with about 150K miles

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

That's all there is as far as testing, good work (y)

P0135 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Fuse 20 in engine bay, 15amp, gets 12v with key on, from PCM relay, red wire
That's the O2 heater 12v power
Heater is just a coil of wire, so the 12v travels thru the coil and to the computer's ground wire for each O2 heater
If computer doesn't see the 12v with key on it will set a code for that one O2 sensor

So you have the 12v with key on or codes would be set almost instantly

Computer then randomly ungrounds each wire to test if 12v is still present, if not it will set a heater code

Only after a few minutes do you get the codes...........and you get the codes for BOTH O2s on your 4cyl engine

To me that would mean the 12v side is the issue, if it was an O2 ground wire to computer then you would get only the one code for that one O2 heater

There could be corrosion on the underside of fuse box on that fuse holder, when it heats up voltage drops
Or at the splice where the 12v wire splits and goes to the two O2 heaters
In 1997 O2 heaters use a light blue/orange stripe wire for 12v out from fuse and to each O2

Test battery volts with key on, say it's 12.5volts
With both O2s unplugged, test voltage at each blue/orange wire, should be exactly 12.5v in this example, no drop
Then plug in either O2 and retest the unhooked one again, might be a slight 0.1drop but shouldn't be
Then reverse it, and test unhooked O2 wire on other sensor

Longshot would be computer issue, or one of the computers ground wires, pins 76, 77 or 103, theses are not "shared" grounds inside the computer, each is for specific circuits
Pins 25 and 33 are computer's case/chassis grounds, I doubt these would be used for O2 heater grounds but easy enough to test them
But you would most likely have other codes if it was a computer ground wire issue, but there are no internal schematics for these

Last edited:

Michael7S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ron, That is one of the most thorough responses I've ever seen in a forum. But I can see you help a lot of people here. Thank you.

And I've done just what you suggested, with interesting results. I tested at the sensor (disconnected) and then added a wired a ground direct from the battery, then a positive line direct from the battery and noted the differences Essentially a 0.03VDC drop at max. So that's probably not material. Visual inspection under the engine fuse box showed 'new' looking wires and connections, so I suspect we're good there. No signs squirrel chewing or corrosion present.

I cleaned and tightened all the ground connections to the body in the engine compartment. They looked very clean, but... why not? Interesting that the rough idle seemed to go away. Ever the optimist, I took a drive and miles later, both codes triggered - this time from 'pending' to switch on the CEL and reset all monitors. Darn it.

So I go back to the essential, "What changed?" and ... not much. I was seeing the typical evap cannister purge valve/sensor issues occasionally over the last few years and replaced one or the other. But those haven't been up for a long time. The simultaneous O2 Heater Circuit codes started about eight months ago, with no work done on the truck.

So what's left is a checklist of three things, I'm thinking:

1. Why not replace both sensors again? Well, the simultaneous trigger of both O2 heater circuit codes happened before the new O2 sensors, and after as well. So this is inexpensive, but unlikely.
2. Check other sensors, like water temp, that could tell the PCM to do something with both O2 sensors? Also unlikely since I'm seeing codes trigger at 160 to 183 degrees f.
3. Replace the PCM. Ugh. OK. I think that's next. I may drive it a few more cycles beforehand just to see if it 'learns' and stops triggering the codes!

Thanks again for your help, and I hope this saga helps others.

-Michael

Michael7S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
UPDATE: So the short answer is yes, A bad PCM can and will trigger P0135 & P0141 (Heater circuit) for both O2 sensors simultaneously and in error. I managed to clear the readiness codes, and pass smog today.

The steps:
  1. Checked all fuses
  2. Replaced both O2 Sensors
  3. Confirmed voltage and switched grounds at each O2 sensor
  4. Confirmed ohms and load for each heater circuit
  5. Checked grounds at engine
  6. Did thorough voltage drop tests across all ground points and key fuse points in the engine fuse box
  7. Ran secondary +12v wires to rear o2 heater to supplement in case of occasional gap
  8. Replaced both O2 sensors again.
  9. Over 18 test drives - each triggered the errors after 6-8 miles
  10. Replaced the PCM
  11. Ran readiness drive cycle, clearing all codes, and .. passed smog.

Attachments

Drat612

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda b2300
Transmission
Manual
hi im having the exact same issue. i changed the 02 sensors and the pcm but it has not helped.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals