• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Born again ranger

87ranger308

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO bored .030
Transmission
Manual
Finally, the hard work is done, all the fabrication, test fitting and lots of reading schematics to get it running right. Now that's out of the way, time to show it off. Want to get some pics posted in a later post. Many of the details are left out but will fill in as questions are asked.

What started off as a thought of a simple engine upgrade to the 2.9 ended in something of an overbudget nightmare and lost interest a year later. Didn't have any place decent to perform any such project and tried to start off with a long block purchased as overhauled from the local auto parts store that gave military discounts, heck of a savings. All the rest of the parts to hook up the efi came from the wrecking yard and involved quite a bit of cleanup. What started to turn me off of this engine was the fact that the mileage and horsepower weren't that much better than the 2.3 already in place. So the search went on for a compatible donor vehicle with a 5.0 after reading several hundred of these posts on how much more can be appreciated by having the power when you need it. The 2.3 was at the point of getting 16 mpg with a stockland camper shell and not loaded while going up Snoqualmie pass and competing with the semi tractor trailers in the slow lane. Nuff said...

My big break came in December of 03' when i found an 86 Mustang GT with body rust and mixed body parts from a 91, really beat up under the front end. The engine ran fine but second gear on the BW T5 had no synchro left to keep the sound of metal teeth grinding away. Was able to acquire it for a nice $1300. Didn't really want to disassemble the car after experiencing my first ride in a muscle car. I just knew that if i drove it more than the 50 miles since picking it up, the speeding tickets would be catching up with me eventually, secondly, the mufflers were removed just aft of the support under the passenger seats. Another ticket from the sound police just waiting to happen.

I spent two weeks removing all necessary parts (302, t5, wiring harness, computer with the super chip, etc, etc..), and did the one thing I would later regret for the rest of this build, trust someone else to do the service(wrong move). Had the impression that things were going south about three months after dropping off the truck and all the parts. He kept pushing it off to the final project and later found he was putting a lot of mileage on my truck for running errands. Needless to say, Wootens Garage was a rip off and he had all his assets confiscated and was lucky to get everything back minus a few essential parts and what was left of the mustang, which he stored on a lot belonging to someone else, had been towed off and issued a bill for towing. After a couple of weeks trying to get the money from this guy to get it out of impound, had to pay the bill anyways only to find my mustang had been sold as a complete car already. Would have been great to upgrade it as well with something in the 400 range.

The whole time the engine sat in his shop, moisture got into the 5 and 6 intake port and corroded the sleeves which is why it got bored .030 over with new hypereutectic pistons, a $300 complete rebuild kit from Summit. The T5 rebuild kit was also from Summit for $240. The 2nd gear and synchronizer ordered from one of the stores in town for $200. Picked up the overhaul manual as a pdf from one of the mustang websites, not sure which one. Saved a lot of money for a do it yourself project.

Money, lots of money, where was it going to come from? The wife, uh, only if it was within a budget. Well that's what Navy deployments to Germany are great for. Was able to order all the adapter parts from Advanced Adapers to make this as simple as possible. Got rid of the airpump and A/c and set it up to run with the March pulley setup for the reverse water pump. I found the flexlite 1250 cfm fan to be the only one to fit with limited space.

The wiring was a different story, i had purchased a set of OEM schematics for the truck but the Ford company stopped selling them when it came time to deal with the Mustang set up. Matched up the wires the best way possible and the same results as on previous posts, x2 on the tach, constant blinking oil light and no speedometer since the cable is still in the mustang and looking for another one. The gps with the tripmeter is a temporary fill in until it gets tracked down.

Worked out the clutch by using the cable from another unidentified vehicle but it fit as long as the cable housing was attached from the back to avoid coming in contact with the header. Attached the clutch cable to the pedal with a fabricated steel bracket to give the right amount of travel to release the clutch. Tried using the slave cylinder method but it was the wrong size and fluid leaked everywhere, will have to track down the right one that was talked about in other posts that attach to the t5.

Ordered the 2.5" tubing for the exhaust through Summit as well as both 4" round Magnaflows with the 2.5" in/out. Installed 2 hi flow cat converters just after the collectors and welded the 02 bungs along that section between. Fabricated the rest with a Summit H pipe about 2 feet before the Magnaflows and exit out to the side before the rear wheels. This setup really was much quieter than the stang but really brought the deep base that brought tears to the eyes when I finally started the the now 308.

So after all this, about 200+ hours of work and over $5000 just to see if i could really do it myself, HELL YEAH:headbang:. The proof is in the rubber streak left in the parking lot at work. Got to be easy with it until the 7.5 rear end gets swapped out with the 8.8 from another stang that needs to be overhauled still.

The pics will be posted soon, have to get signed up on one of the photo sites first, then uploaded.

If anyone is looking for an overhauled 2.3L with an overhauled M5OD, need to get them out of the garage, make an offer. Would make one hell of a go kart power package.

Scott.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals