• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Borla Exhaust Recommendations for a 4.0L OHV

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you make the bent pipe yourself or did you buy it somewhere? Do you have a sound clip by chance? I was interested in having dual out but behind both rear tires.
A local muffler shop did it for me. At this time I don't have a clip. It's loud. Also, was parked at a friend's machine shop one day, idling. His dad came in and asked me what kind of V-8 was under the hood. It does sound rather aggressive. I wear ear plugs if I'm driving it any distance. LMAO!!

Possibly Sunday, I'll try and get a clip. It's cold, dreary and windy today and tomorrow.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
The install wasn’t bad. Be careful, the manifold bolts like to break. Pull the inner wheel wells for room to get straight at everything.
I can’t tell you if there was any power difference, I put my truck down for a week and did the full exhaust, 3.73 gears, MSD DIS-4, throttle body, mass air, etc. I can tell you it made a difference in the sound.
Oh beautiful, well ok i'll keep it in mind. I did hear it's easier to take off the wheels and inner wells, so i will do that. I'll soak the bolts every day with penetration liquid so hopefully that helps. Difference in sound is 80% what i care about haha.

A local muffler shop did it for me. At this time I don't have a clip. It's loud. Also, was parked at a friend's machine shop one day, idling. His dad came in and asked me what kind of V-8 was under the hood. It does sound rather aggressive. I wear ear plugs if I'm driving it any distance. LMAO!!

Possibly Sunday, I'll try and get a clip. It's cold, dreary and windy today and tomorrow.
Haha yeah let me know if you get a clip, i'd really be interested in hearing it!

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Oh beautiful, well ok i'll keep it in mind. I did hear it's easier to take off the wheels and inner wells, so i will do that. I'll soak the bolts every day with penetration liquid so hopefully that helps. Difference in sound is 80% what i care about haha.
The headers definitely gave it a louder growl. Not too loud, but better sounding loud.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Did you make the bent pipe yourself or did you buy it somewhere? Do you have a sound clip by chance? I was interested in having dual out but behind both rear tires.
If you're asking me, I bought the mandrel bent Dynomax tailpipe from Summit. Summit also has a Dynomax cat back 2 1/2" system but it's big bucks.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
projectRanger93:

You certainly could chose worse than Borla.

For my ohv 4.0L I have 2½" SS tubing from the cat to a Borla XR1 muffler single in 2½"/single out 2½", with 2½" SS tubing to the tail.

I bought the muffler, clamps and all the mandrel bends from Summit racing along with the strait section. This was a ton of $$$.$$ less than the Borla kit.

This set-up receives compliments anytime someone hears it!

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
projectRanger93:

You certainly could chose worse than Borla.

For my ohv 4.0L I have 2½" SS tubing from the cat to a Borla XR1 muffler single in 2½"/single out 2½", with 2½" SS tubing to the tail.

I bought the muffler, clamps and all the mandrel bends from Summit racing along with the strait section. This was a ton of $$$.$$ less than the Borla kit.

This set-up receives compliments anytime someone hears it!
Do you have a sound clip available anywhere ny chance?

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
The 1st time my exhaust rusted of my Ranger I took a muffler man's reccomendation on running size. He let me know that he had done many, many 2.9L Rangers and that he would only put on stock or 2¼". This did feel better, seat-of-the-pants (SOTP). Next time, when that rusted off, I did not know about stainless steel (SS) exhausts or that they are worth the difference in cost, so I did the aluminized again ?.

Approximately 18 months later when that was falling apart I knew to use SS and had learned to source it from JC Whitney, Summit or Jegs. I did as much reading about mufflers as I could. I didn't care how it sounded as low as it offered a performance improvement, so this it where I was lucky. The only company that took the time to prove their mufflers could outflow strait pipe was Borla; with that, I was sold.

My 1st Borla system was put on in 95-96 on my Ranger's 2.9L and is still doing great. The Borla sound is very performance sounding, not glass packy or like a BIG V8 secretly lives under the hood, just...this is not a stock sounding engine, it sounds like a highly tuned performance engine but in a truck?

The big difference is when a performance engine is out in front of it, then it really sings. If you go to the Borla website, they have tons of soundclips. If you want more raspberries they offer that, I forget what they call it. That 1st Borla system was using just their Turbo muffler (now designated the Pro XS line), so I was very intrigued as to what the "FABLED" XR1 could sound like, so much did I wonder that I had to know. Get the XR1 unless you want the super Raspberry new Borla (ATAK).

I am right by Seattle and have no sound recordings, I will attempt to swing you with my description. Have ever heard an 8 cylinder Jaguar ..)

Last edited:

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
To Projectranger: I'm looking for headers for my 94 40L. I checked the Borla site and came up empty. How did you go about finding yours?
Thanks.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I originally put a Gibson cat-back on my Sport Trac, they make kits for Rangers too, although I was kinda loud. After 7 years it got a hole in it and I replaced it with a Flowmaster DBX from Summit Racing that is a little quieter but sounds nice.

arfunker

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am also looking at a Borla cat-back exhaust that I saw on 4wheelonline. Hope they are not that loud because my wife will not ride on my truck if they are.

airbourneranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Tire Size
245/45-18 & 275/40-18
My credo
Tighten it until it snaps then back off a 1/4 turn
Borla is crazy expensive. I looked at an axle back for my Mustang they want 995 + tax for 2 mufflers with chrome tips. That's 500 per muffler, That's nuts. I'm glad they don't make lug nuts they would be $50 each 20 x $50 = $1000

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals