• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Boring Out

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a spare 4 oh that I am tearing down and completely rebuilding. I'm almost to the stage to send the block off to the machine shop, would I notice much of a difference if I say, had it bored .030 over?

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
there should be a bit of a difference, or so I would think.

However I'm not sure its safe... as I've heard that the 4.0 block is pretty well maxed already... it was described to me as "its like making a chevy 400 out of a 256 block"

(I think I saw that somewhere here on the forums... or on another forum somewhere..)

As I understand it, theres not that much space left between the cylinders in the first place, but I've never had a 4.0 torn apart before.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No need to guess.

Calculate the volume of a cylinder with diameter = bore and height = stroke. Add .030 to the bore. See the difference.

I'm leaving this as an exercise for the reader.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Only way to get much more power by boring out is to put fancier pistons in it when you do it, the selection for the 4.0 isn't that hot.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've also got a 4.0 down for rebuild - curious about the same question - I just ran out and did a very rough calculation of the thickness of the cylinder of the 4.0 I have torn down. It's roughly .225 on a stock bore. Subtracting .30 = .195 . . .roughly

How thin is too thin.

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The 4.0 is a 'thin wall' block with minimal support for the cylinders - therefore, you want to bore it as little as needed otherwise cylinder wall flex can show up if you plan to run it up there a bit. .020-.030 is considered safe with .040 as an absolute max unless you have the block sonic checked. The earlier blocks (92,93,94) seem to be a little thicker and I actually have one that sonic checked out much thicker than several others - I bored it out to a 4.0" bore and still appear to have decent wall thickness.

As MAKG said - any increase in 'swept' volume will result in an increase in static compression, so calculate away my friends.

Bird

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
.030 over wont really be noticed. youd get more from a cam or other stuff

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
As MAKG said - any increase in 'swept' volume will result in an increase in static compression, so calculate away my friends.
No. Changes in stroke change the compression ratio. Changes in bore do not.

Any change in volume changes the displacement. And I'd really suggest that anyone with questions about whether to do that should calculate stock and modified displacement. This will lay your questions to rest.

chris1044

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

Any change in volume changes the displacement. And I'd really suggest that anyone with questions about whether to do that should calculate stock and modified displacement. This will lay your questions to rest.
Assuming that clearance volume stays the same, the compression ratio will increase with a bore.....If clearance volume increases at the same ratio as the swept volume, CR won't change......

typically when you bore an engine the clearance volume does increase as the piston doesn't come right up to the top of the deck, so you don't get a compression increase worth noting

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

MAKG - think about what you just said.......................... :icon_rofl:

Larger bore with the same stroke will mean more swept area to be compressed into the same combustion chamber = higher compression. One of the reasons you can put a 350 crankshaft in a 400 block and with the 350 heads and the same style pistons, the compression ratio will jump an additional point- granted, a .030 overbore on a 4.0 won't change it much, but it truly does happen.

Bird

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Larger bore with the same stroke will mean more swept area to be compressed into the same combustion chamber = higher compression. One of the reasons you can put a 350 crankshaft in a 400 block and with the 350 heads and the same style pistons, the compression ratio will jump an additional point- granted, a .030 overbore on a 4.0 won't change it much, but it truly does happen.

Bird
No. As you say, larger bore means larger swept area. But it also means larger combustion chamber. Unless you have tapered "cylinders."

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic

Bird
No, your combustion chamber will also increase in size. 0.030 in in diameter to be exact.

chris1044

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No, your combustion chamber will also increase in size. 0.030 in in diameter to be exact.
X2, unless you deck the block/heads or install a piston with a different shape to it

Which is the reason I put what I did - most shops will take a negligible amount off the deck surface to make sure it's even and has the correct surface finish when they do a rebuild...

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
With the combustion chamber being part of the head (which isn't bored), tell me how it also 'grows' in size with the overbore..............................

Some folks need to do some homework.

Bird

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Bird is (mostly) right. I made a basic error.

The combustion chamber is not bored. That is, the numerator of the combustion ratio (displacement + combustion chamber volume) goes up due to the bore, and the denominator doesn't. So, there is a change in static CR, assuming the piston shape is the same. If it isn't, you can make the CR do just about anything you want.

Now, it also assumes the piston at TDC is level with the deck, which doesn't have to be so. If the piston is below the deck at TDC, the combustion chamber IS larger (assuming for simplicity that the piston has a flat top). The limiting case (all the combustion chamber inside the block) is the only one where the CR doesn't change. You could build a cylinder that way, but it wouldn't work very well. Most real cylinders have a piston height very close to zero. Piston height is not changed by boring.

Now, these things are not at all hard to calculate, and anyone contemplating boring to raise compression really should calculate the effect. All you need is the bore, stroke, and stock static compression ratio to estimate its effect. You can do without the CR (which often isn't very accurately spec'd) if a fractional (percent) change is enough.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals